DEER DRIVES, THE GOOD OLD DAYS

LongWayFromHome

I won't be able to make opening day next Saturday. But I'm going take down my Remington model 8, which I traded  for back in 1968 for a couples days labour bucking bales of hay, and give it a thourough cleaning. If If I can't be out there then I'll be out there in spirit. Let's see what this all develops into. Wingshooting NY deer. About as much fun as a man could ever ask for. Anyone got a Remington model 8?

Love deer drives , only do them.last weekend and muzzleloader. Unfortunately the skill of knowing how to walk and effectively move deer the direction you want them to go is fast fading ,kids cant learn it and walking the side of a hill for 3/4 of a mile is getting harder the older I get. Everyone want to be a standers now adays. I ve killed more deer doubling back while walking the standers ever kill..

• Like 2

Thirty years ago sit until nine or so, then coffee and a sandwich, do drives until about 3 then tree stand time again. If we knew another group was driving nearby or saw walkers, we hung tight...let them do the work which was even better. At that time, we primarily hunted the fingerlakes, West shore of Seneca. Rolling hills, hedgerows and gullies, vineyards and corn. We rotated who pushed, and usually it was very productive. Since then, most of the land has changed lands and gone to different useage. Boy, did we learn how to make a pump gun sing! 

• Like 1

I love a good deer drive spent many years driving the river bottoms and letchworth and a few of the surrounding farms. 

Now I really enjoy the drive or two a year at Gregs/gmans place.

Back in the day you could drive down the country roads and see drones of guys getting ready to do drives. The see of orange lined up across The tree lines.  You don't see much of that anymore.

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I absolutely love a deer drive, GMan if you need pushers I’m your man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You better ask tim about my hill hes done it a few times most.do it 1x and done never.come back or have to be a stander..

• Like 1

Just now, Uncle Nicky said:

No thanks, too much confusion & chance of someone getting shot. If I want that kind of action I'd go down south & let the dogs move them around.

There is no confusion, standers stay in stand till drive is done , doesnt matter if you shoot world record.you stay in stand or spot assigned , there is no I can see. Better from over there... Walkers know where others are in diagonal line moving deer ahead. 25 years and never had a problem with deer taken on drives.. well one incident where guy was watching drive on my side hill while driving swerved off road hit pole and rolled truck.. but he wasnt part of the drive.. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Drivemaster= Ayatolla, Generalissimo, Supreme Commander, El Jefe.  Standers get placed according to the battle plan, you don't move, or you get removed from the drive. Drivers, they are the dismounted cavalry, paired off with experienced drivers and they do as they are told. Weapons check, no unsafe questionable weapons, everyone wears highly visible orange clothing. A well orchestrated deer drive is a ballet on a small military scale. If you don't like being told what to do and how to do it, you won't be on our deer drives. 

• Like 2

MY Dad wasn't a hunter, but all the German neighbors were. Driving was the only game in town. If you were a stander and had the shots, you emptied the gun. Who tag what was not important. I miss those day immensely, but thankful I DID experience them. You always, always seen deer and No cold feet.

The locals would see us on a road and park and run in the woods. We were smart enough to have the drivers  line up on the opposite side before the drive began. A the predeterimed start time, the drivers would do a 180 and leave the poachers on he wrong side  of the road.:no: LOL We always got a good laugh over that.   FT ( PS: I am 71 years young. :wink: )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

yep freytown, good old days. our deer drives were about all the things that meant the most to us, no one went w/o venison, and I doubt it's possible to put on a deer drive like we used to do. the memories they can't take from us. i get reports from friends about what goes on now a days. 71 is very young. you keep having fun.

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

There is no confusion, standers stay in stand till drive is done , doesnt matter if you shoot world record.you stay in stand or spot assigned , there is no I can see. Better from over there... Walkers know where others are in diagonal line moving deer ahead. 25 years and never had a problem with deer taken on drives.. well one incident where guy was watching drive on my side hill while driving swerved off road hit pole and rolled truck.. but he wasnt part of the drive.. 

I've done drives before, when I was younger. I never especially cared for the way they were conducted, and we mostly used buckshot & slug guns. A couple close calls ( at least to me they seemed close) cured me of any desire to do it again, and guys slinging lead with semi rifles sounds even more risky. I know it is tradition and often effective, and I'm not trying to convince anyone to stop doing it, just throwing out my $.02 on deer drives. I like chasing hogs & sticking them with a knife to finish them off, a lot of people think that's crazy & reckless. Probably shouldn't have even commented.

Edited by Uncle Nicky

2 minutes ago, LongWayFromHome said:

badly managed deer drives are as bad as poorly organized family reunions. The Uncle Fester Syndrome.

no excuse for poor dangerous gun handling. hunting pigs with a spear, about as primordal as you can get.

Please, comment to the cows come home, your thoughts well appreciated. 

Actually, we get in closer & shank them with a Bowie knife, the more squeamish guys stand back & use a spear. :rofl:

Good luck guys, hope you kill a pile. I'll be on state land this year in Allegany county opening day, sitting in a chair watching a ridgetop. Maybe you'll drive one my way. :)

Uncle Nicky, very very few I will hunt with anymore. It's not about killing, not about antlers, not about ego, not about a bloody thing but being outdoors, and spending the day ruminating what the last 50 years have been like. I won't be in the woods next Saturday, but I'll be thinking of how wonderful it will be next year. P.S., I have hunted porkers in the East Texas Piney Woods,  so I know that going after the porkers with a Bowie must be quite a thrill. Could of used you in the middle east, ha ha!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1