DEER DRIVES, THE GOOD OLD DAYS

LongWayFromHome

31 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

A few sit in this stand and I will walk towards you.  Has never worked.  lol

It helps to be on their escape route . Here’s two ,two man pushes. If I walk the yellow line, the deer will run the yellow dots right to the red X’s . I can place a guy almost to the exact tree, I’ve seen guys drop two more than once . They tend to slow up and look into the woods before entering many times, which is a fatal mistake .

dont drive anymore but we’ve done those two for decades, and it’s always the same .

EFC5181E-408D-422F-B8CD-2CB1B4134384.jpeg

I'm 50/50 on deer drives now. We do one big one every year and it will usually produce a few deer. I really cant remember any big bucks being taken during them but I do remember that someone always shoots at a running deer and wounds it. We then spend countless hours tracking and trying to recover unfortunately we don't always recover them and that's the part that I don't like.  

It helps to be on their escape route . Here’s two ,two man pushes. If I walk the yellow line, the deer will run the yellow dots right to the red X’s . I can place a guy almost to the exact tree, I’ve seen guys drop two more than once . They tend to slow up and look into the woods before entering many times, which is a fatal mistake .
dont drive anymore but we’ve done those two for decades, and it’s always the same .
EFC5181E-408D-422F-B8CD-2CB1B4134384.thumb.jpeg.f01b9e55566889258bfe66144466dac9.jpeg

Thanks for the invite Nomad....I will take the middle X.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, crappyice said:

Thanks for the invite Nomad....I will take the middle X.

Any time ! But sadly the farm doesn’t want drives anymore till the end of gun, and I don’t have the 8-12 guys we used to , to do the big drives . These little pushes still work well with 2 -3 guys .

But it was grand fun , and productive ! If you were a watcher you knew you would get an opportunity . Where else in hunting  can you know in half an hour of hunting  you’re  going to get a shot ?

Ive used my daughter to walk a drainage ditch ,it’s over grown and runs from a road across open crop fields, to a woods . No body ever hunts near it, because of the road and my wife’s old house that’s near it . One of my best hunting memories, she was 14 walks it and I shot a 7 pt on a flat our dead run at the end of the ditch .

Drives were so productive. But if you’re a guy who shoots 5 rounds off a bench prior to season , you may not be cut out for the shots . I’d run at least 100 slugs through my 12 ga, many at moving targets prior to the season . Duck hunters and others who can swing a gun do fine .

12 hours ago, jvillegas2086 said:

How much land do you and your partner have? My father in law loves to put drives on, but I convinced him that there’s too little land for us to do it between the two of us and the deer keep passing through points were we are not standing. I love drives in that I get to see more of the woods, crazy things can happen when deer do move (I had several pass almost run me over once), and you stay warmer. I do miss the old days too when more family was involved hunting and making drives. We had access to many acres of land and all different terrain, but those days have passed.

We have a bit over 650 acres. And have a good chunk of state land that borders ours. We also have some very thick spots that are tough to drive. But that is where the deer are shortly after firearms opener. To make two man drives successful, you have to know the land very well. We have hunted here all our lives.

• Like 1

We have a bit over 650 acres. And have a good chunk of state land that borders ours. We also have some very thick spots that are tough to drive. But that is where the deer are shortly after firearms opener. To make two man drives successful, you have to know the land very well. We have hunted here all our lives.

Thank you for getting back to me. I just feel bad. My father in law is the one I usually hunt with on the land that he grew up on. We had access to approximately 300-400 acres that was an estate when I first started hunting with him . The estate has subdivided and we have not been allowed to hunt the parcels that are vacant. It’s hard to watch him every time we decide how we are going to hunt the 30 acres we are now limited to. He actually grew up getting to hunt over 800 acres. I think the other part that hurts him is that the camp camaraderie is not there. Neither of his daughters hunt, and we don’t have the gatherings that we used to. I’m hoping that we are able to build on the memories he has. I love driving, but I don’t think it is the smartest way to hunt our property.

12 hours ago, G-Man said:

It's a 45 degree slope covered in multi flora rose ,hawthorn and greebriar

That multi flora on that slope is a nightmare. I swear my first year hunting at gregs/gmans place i fell through the snow and was surrounded up over my head in the multi flora what a nightmare getting out.