Your gun and caliber for the SZ opener ..

rob-c

Based on the cold weather forecast, it looks like it will be my grandpa's old Ithaca model 37, 16-gauge smoothbore with 1.5X Weaver scope.   It has been (7) seasons since I killed a buck with that gun.  I will be hunting on his old farm that morning, so it seems right.   That gun has never failed to fire, no matter how cold it is (unlike my Marlin m512 which froze up a couple of times).   Sunday afternoon, it is supposed to warm up to 37, so I will wait until then to break out the Marlin with it's new Redfield Revolution 2-7X scope.  It don't look like there is any precipitation in the forecast, so my open-sited Remington 870 12-gauge will stay in the safe.      

Edited by wolc123

i've got options but i've checked and have a couple ready to go. my usual Browning ABolt stainless 30-06 will be with me. my adult new hunter/mentee will be toting an Abolt III in 7mm-08 with reduced recoil ammo. both topped with 3-9x40 scopes. farm consists of anything from heavy woods to swamps to open ag fields with shots out to hundreds of yards. we'll be setting up for something to come in nicely well within 100 yards.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Based on the cold weather forecast, it looks like it will be my grandpa's old Ithaca model 37, 16-gauge smoothbore with 1.5X Weaver scope.   It has been (7) seasons since I killed a buck with that gun.  I will be hunting on his old farm that morning, so it seems right.   That gun has never failed to fire, no matter how cold it is (unlike my Marlin m512 which froze up a couple of times).   Sunday afternoon, it is supposed to warm up to 37, so I will wait until then to break out the Marlin with it's new Redfield Revolution 2-7X scope.  It don't look like there is any precipitation in the forecast, so my open-sited Remington 870 12-gauge will stay in the safe.      

what gun oil or lug grease are you using that causes it to freeze in temps above 0F??

I used Rem-oil on it before and after the last time.   My plan now is to only hunt with it when the temp is above 32, until I get some "CLP" worked into it.  Then it should be good down to -10 or so (I don't need meat bad enough to hunt colder than that).   Water was involved in both prior freeze-ups, so I think I will be ok above 32 F.   The first time, I had hunted in the rain on a Saturday and not got it dried up and cleaned adequately, the temperature dropped way down overnight.  The next day it froze up - sparing the life of the first doe I would have killed on my grandad's old farm.   Another doe got saved there last year by a freeze-up, on another extremely cold day, a couple weeks after I had dropped the gun in a swamp while dragging out my buck.   

I have heard good things about the "CLP" (apparently the Army uses it).  Hopefully that will put an end to those freezups.  Fortunately, it has not occurred on an antlered buck, although the one last year was the only one I have taken with that gun.   The Marlin m512 is a real tack-driver, but that don't do me much good if it don't fire.   I will settle for an "under 100 yard shot only" with the old Ithaca tomorrow morning.  The spot I am going is pretty thick so a shot farther than that is highly unlikely anyhow.               

Edited by wolc123

Well, I had to change plans due to an ammunition issue today. Grandfathers Savage 99 .300 will be sleeping in and my Weatherby Mark V 30.06 is up to bat. The Remington .300 ammo I bought would not chamber and I'm not sure why. I'm wondering if it is because it is .300 Mag? I did have ammunition for this rifle a few years ago that I used later in the season to take a deer, but can't find it in my stuff that was packed away while I was gone. 

No worries though, because I sighted the Weatherby in this afternoon, if you want to call it that. Required no adjustments, as it was dead on with the shooting stick at 110 yards right out of the case. At about 50 yards freehand the one and only shot was still perfectly dead center. I bought the rifle 5 years ago off this site when I first moved to Alaska, and never had an opportunity to hunt there with all the hours I put in at work. It is its maiden voyage with me tomorrow. A beautiful rifle and feeling confident!  

Good luck everyone!

• Like 2

Rem-oil (For TF)
Should be good to temps well below zero. Sometimes any gunk in there can get stiff with say a pump or semi. Being a bolt action you really just have firing pin, lug groove, and chamber that people slack on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Well, I had to change plans due to an ammunition issue today. Grandfathers Savage 99 .300 will be sleeping in and my Weatherby Mark V 30.06 is up to bat. The Remington .300 ammo I bought would not chamber and I'm not sure why. I'm wondering if it is because it is .300 Mag? I did have ammunition for this rifle a few years ago that I used later in the season to take a deer, but can't find it in my stuff that was packed away while I was gone. 

No worries though, because I sighted the Weatherby in this afternoon, if you want to call it that. Required no adjustments, as it was dead on with the shooting stick at 110 yards right out of the case. At about 50 yards freehand the one and only shot was still perfectly dead center. I bought the rifle 5 years ago off this site when I first moved to Alaska, and never had an opportunity to hunt there with all the hours I put in at work. It is its maiden voyage with me tomorrow. A beautiful rifle and feeling confident!  

Good luck everyone!

Ok, so does the ammo box you bought  say 300 savage On it ? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, rob-c said:

No! I wondered about that when I was buying it the other day because they didn't have any specifically marked .300 Savage. When I was uncertain at the store, I googled what others recommended for their Savage 99 .300, and several talked about having excellent results with the Remington .300.

Learned 3 things in this deal. 1.they don't fit...lol.  2. Those guys I think may have been full of you know what. 3. I should have tried to ask someone here when I was in the store. :  )

I was pretty sure I remembered buying Hornady .300 Savage specifically , must have been at least 6 years ago. Even seem to remember it being a sort of orange box. 

Anyhoot...thanks guys. Lesson learned!

I know a guy who booked a western hunt for mule deer and elk...Hiked many miles into the high country and when he tried to load his rifle the cartridges  would not chamber..he had bought .300 Weatherby mags  for his .300 Winchester...

And he is a PHD....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, New York Hillbilly said:

No! I wondered about that when I was buying it the other day because they didn't have any specifically marked .300 Savage. When I was uncertain at the store, I googled what others recommended for their Savage 99 .300, and several talked about having excellent results with the Remington .300.

Learned 3 things in this deal. 1.they don't fit...lol.  2. Those guys I think may have been full of you know what. 3. I should have tried to ask someone here when I was in the store. :  )

I was pretty sure I remembered buying Hornady .300 Savage specifically , must have been at least 6 years ago. Even seem to remember it being a sort of orange box. 

Anyhoot...thanks guys. Lesson learned!

I almost bought one the other day .

Was not sure about how easy it is to find the ammo but apparently it's out there .

The gun seemed a little to beat up for that price I think .

20191113_141950.jpg

20191113_141827.jpg

I’m out of town this weekend, but next weekend I’ll be out with my... who am I kidding... my bow.  Someday I’ll shoot a deer with a gun again, right? 

Good luck and stay safe!  I can’t wait to see the gun harvest thread.

Edited by johnplav

9 hours ago, TACC said:
10 hours ago, rob-c said:

Exactly, only 300 savage ammo will work in that gun

The box will say 300 Savage, the 300 Savage cartridge is pretty much the same as the 308 power wise with just slightly less velocity. There is plenty of good choices for ammo with most manufacturers loading both 150 and 180 gr bullets.

Able Ammo carries most manufacturers including Remington Hornady and Federal

https://www.ableammo.com/

2019-11-16_062318.png

2019-11-16_062111.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2