High Tor Wildlife Management Area Deer Hunting

Hani A

Hi Everyone!

This will be my first year hunting, and I was thinking about going here. I did the research and saw extremely high deer density in this region. I have a DMP for here as well as my buck tag, and had a few questions:

1) Generally, how has the deer hunting been for you guys? I'll be going opening weekend. Friday I'll scout out a place (I located it on a map) and set it up (blind, tree, whatever). Head out super early saturday and get to my spot before sunrise. Sound like a good plan?

2) How is the deer hunting specifically for someone willing to go far? I am a pretty serious hiker, so I'm willing/planning to quarter up any game and pack it out, in several trips. This is why I've chosen a spot pretty far from any parking spots or trails, and it requires going over a nice hill to get to it from any direction. I know the majority of hunters stay within a third of a mile from their cars, so the plan is to take advantage of my tolerance for walking and my physicality to stay away from high pressure areas or maybe even be in the areas where pressured deer will head to. 

3) Any info on bears there? I'll be carrying an 8mm mauser, so I'm debating weather or not I take a shot at a bear if I see one. Any thoughts? Again, I can pack it out. I've gone on 50+ mile hikes with big packs before, so a few 3 mile hikes even with 70 lb of meat on my back is not a big deal.

Thanks in advance guys!

P.S. I am not at all new to the outdoors (obviously from hiking) or shooting (I do a decent amount of target shooting), so I'm not a complete newbie. I've also done a little squirrel hunting as well.

I live in Naples, right next to HiTor.

It is a nightmare when gun season opens. Guys literally overrun the place. It would be very hard to get far enough from a road / parking area to ensure solitude.

HiTor has a ton of parking and access spots.

But, there are a lot of deer there, and someone has to get lucky. Might as well be you. Get in early, go far, and stay put all day. Even if / when you see guys, don't get discouraged.

Good luck.