Got it done and butchered it myself

The Engineer

Saturday went out for the afternoon hunt sat at 2:30 a 9point buck down before 3. First deer with a crossbow. I was sitting for 10 minutes and a new buck in the area come through the woods with his nose down. Sniffed 30 yards broad side in front of me and he never made 40 feet. He was a big heavy bastard. My brother and I  couldn't pick it up to put on the quad. Yesterday I butchered it up first time. The hardest part was skinning it. Taking the meat off wasn't bad and the grinder attachment from my wife's mixer work perfect. I have doe permit and a regular for next week so I will be doing it again real soon IMG_0144.thumb.JPG.ace5bab8755986cd40637efc8a5c2f2d.JPGIMG_0143.thumb.JPG.84cbb95e94699fc0b7b88dca82a215e9.JPG

• Like 26

Congrats.... taking a deer from field to fork  is a thing of pride for my family. I was taught by my gramps . I have taught my  wife ,boys, and many of my friends.  Some people wont do it but  I think they miss out on a very important  part of the hunting experience.  It use to be kind of a party thing ... fresh back straps on the grill.. music playing  a group of guys  hanging out and getting it done .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Engineer said:

Thank you all. It was a lot of firsts. First with a  crossbow and first butchering. Crossbows are so powerful it went right through him at 30 yards. And butchering was bad. After some practice I'll be able to strip that carcass 

Its like anything else, practice makes perfect. I actually enjoy the butchering of deer just as much as the hunt. Nice to just hang with family, talk and butcher.

• Like 1

Good job..He's a tank !!…  Congrats on a great buck and your first butchering job...I have been cutting up my own deer since the 1960s....  The only thing I don't do is grind, since I have a couple of good friends with BIG grinders who  allow me to use their equipment, for the price of a 30 pack or two...<<grin>>….

• Like 1