Reduce the trigger pull

Freytown

I have a 1980 Ruger77 with the tang safety. My trigger pull is heavy imo but the manual says DO NOT reduce it, but you can increase it. ??? If you can increase it why can't you lighten it up?? Anyone ever do this with this model/type Ruger? Any info is appreciated, thxs.  FT

I have 2 older tang safety Ruger 77's and although the triggers aren't great they aren't too bad either so I never bothered to adjust them.  I would recommend taking the gun to a gunsmith and having him adjust it.  You don't want to mess with the trigger where you could potentially make the gun unsafe.  I had a trigger adjusted on another gun that is my go to deer rifle by a gunsmith and it was the best $40 I ever spent.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 4:28 PM, Dr Juice said:

I brought it to a gunsmith, replaced it with a Timmney trigger, and never looked back.

Can I asked what that cost? I looked up just the trigger cost and it was about $153.99. Thxs FT

https://timneytriggers.com/replacement-trigger-for-the-ruger-m77-tang-safety/

Edited by Freytown
corrected cost

Both my  Ruger 77s I replaced triggers with a Timney. piece of cake to do on your own, you might need to remove some wood around it(pretty sure I did). Even though the Timneys were both adjustable, I was very happy with what they were set at and didn't change a thing. You want to make sure that the safety stays in place and funcitons correctly. If you aren't used to this kind of work thought, absolutely have smith do it. The triggers themselves only were about 50 bucks.