What flashlight to use for night tracking?

goosifer

Last night I helped track a deer after dark. This gave me an opportunity to break out the flashlight collection. I had a blue light, UV (purple) light, and a large old lead battery/incandescent trigger held regular light flashlight. The other hunters didn't like the blue or UV light. Maybe they would have liked it better if  either one were the ONLY light being used (everybody had their headlamps on)? The big boy worked well with a good throw, but it quickly died out. I think it's obsolete, unfortunately. I think I do have a large white light that runs on 18650 batteries for predator hunting. I guess I'm best off using that one? The UV light is still fun for hotel rooms . . .

So what kind of light works best for you when night tracking a shot deer? 

Surefire fury intellibeam

Long story short I needed to track my gun deer last year at night and really didn't own anything to great.....I remembered from the summer my neighbor showing me a sweet flashlight he bought that was super bright so I have him a call. He dug it out an off we went......that small flashlight lit up the grape vineyard like it was Xmas and made the track real nice. So fast forward to this spring and I am beginning to shop around for a similar light and the next thing I know my neighbor is dropping off this surefire as a gift for plowing his driveway all winter.
I would recommend this light to anyone needing to see clearly at night.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Flashlight junky here . Own Surefires , Steamlights  Olights , Fenix , Four seven, maglites and on and on .

My go to is a Fenix PD35, multiple settings ,from just enough to light a path, to enough to light a football field . That said I can’t recall how many years it’s been since I had to track at night ,but it’s nice just in case. Actually I also have a headlamp, and a single cr123a cell light on my keychain that would work fine for tracking too .

https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/pd35-fenix-flashlight/

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 7:54 PM, mlammerhirt said:

Man that looks like a sweet light.....will they take 20% off that sale price too?

Sorry I never checked back, I’d think they would . There are many “ Fenix outlets “ it’s kinda hard to tell them apart . This one will have a big Black Friday sale , https://www.fenix-store.com/

Ive used the light at work for years as well , lost it once waited one month for it to turn up, then bought another, which meant it then turned up , I have two now . One I gave to our oldest ,it’s in her car, she has a Surefire Fury in her apartment.

Ive owned Surefires for many many years, GREAT lights, made in USA, awesome customer service , but Fenix ( and many others) have closed to gap, for far less dollars .

Sorry I never checked back, I’d think they would . There are many “ Fenix outlets “ it’s kinda hard to tell them apart . This one will have a big Black Friday sale , https://www.fenix-store.com/
Ive used the light at work for years as well , lost it once waited one month for it to turn up, then bought another, which meant it then turned up , I have two now . One I gave to our oldest ,it’s in her car, she has a Surefire Fury in her apartment.
Ive owned Surefires for many many years, GREAT lights, made in USA, awesome customer service , but Fenix ( and many others) have closed to gap, for far less dollars .

I am gonna grab that Fenix for my brother in law for Xmas.....my wife then says to me do you think he needs it.....my response was heck yeah.....guys love toys/gadgets!

• Thanks 1