Ideas or ways you keep yourself warm on stand

rob-c

Figured we all could benefit from ways we keep ourselves warm on stand. 
Something I started doing was placing a body size hot hand on top my head under my wool hat. I actually was shocked how quickly it warmed  me up the first time I did it. 
I allways put deodorant on my feet so they won’t sweat, a preventive measure. 

So what’s some creative ways you all use? 

I Make sure all wet/damp clothing from the walk in is removed, I strip totally and put on all dry clothes, socks, underwear and t shirt. Then layer I make sure to cover back of neck / head with balaclava , turtle neck, hand warmers in muff and a hot beverage in thermos if it’s an all day sit. Try to stay out of wind on windy day if possible. 

Head, neck, hands and feet. Pretty easy to keep the core and limbs warm. Covering and dry heat (heat packs) are my go to. Moderate socks and anti-perspirant to go with foot warmers. Neck gaiter and balaclava, a light skin cap followed by a warm head covering appropriate to the weather. Not fancy but it’s worked for me. 

Jumping jacks.  Be sure the stand is sturdy.

Merino wool base layer (2x if really cold), good midlayer (sitka fanatic hoodie) and quality bibs and jacket (right now its sitka incinerator bibs and first lite sanctuary jacket).  Add a muff, handwarmers, and a good gaiter and hat (the madbomber is crazy warm).   I also use sock liners with Vermont darn tough socks under my muck woody elite boots.  

Bring a warm beverage and food.  Oh and carry come extra natural internal insulation - ie not skin and bones.

Keeps me pretty comfortable.

Hot hand toe warmers for feet, and this year started going with hand warmers, too. Also after an hour or so on cold mornings I'll start drinking tea or coffee. This combined with overalls (not pants) sorts me out.

I don't hunt much during gun so it's not a huge issue. I have a neoprene face mask for sub-freezing windy days.

Everything listed above for sure. Maybe not the jumping jacks! Layer up property and stay dry on the walk in if possible. The stick on hot hands body warmers are a life saver. I carry a packable down jacket that fits nicely under my parka if I do get chilled. It always buys me another hour or two. 

I also added Arctic Shield boot warmers to the mix last year, the jury is still out though. Tomorrow and/or Saturday will be a good test. If I remember correctly, I preheated them with hand warmers while they were in my pack during the walk in. Once settled in, I put them on and left the hand warmer inside. They seemed to work pretty well from what I can remember, but I also shot a deer after 7 minutes in the stand so, not really a solid test. The rest of the season was in a heated blind, which is the best way to stay warm.

• Like 1

This is going to be the most unpopular advice and if there was a dislike button it would be wielded freely.....warning: graphic and extreme, if not obscene, content to follow....don’t drink alcohol the night before and cold hunt.

I’ve been voluntarily on the wagon for a bit and have noticed much less discomfort on stand in some cold temps this year.

Coincidence I think not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I will add this: A guy I work with is really into cold-weather/winter camping, he's told me to eat one small piece of chocolate every half hour or so. Apparently if you can keep the core working (digesting something small), your limbs will stay warm.  

1 minute ago, crappyice said:

This is going to be the most unpopular advice and if there was a dislike button it would be wielded freely.....warning: graphic and extreme, if not obscene, content to follow....don’t drink alcohol the night before and cold hunt.

I’ve been voluntarily on the wagon for a bit and have noticed much less discomfort on stand in some cold temps this year.

Coincidence I think not!

and coffee since it has caffeine  actually restricts your blood vessels and makes you colder. But I drink it anyway...lol. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hunter1 said:

….Propane heater and my stand is 60 + deg

That's the only way I stay warm anymore

• Like 1

My clothes are a mish mash of box store stuff ,generally do,ok . Sat. Morning since my daughter doesn’t do well in the cold ,we’ll be in a hut, bringing a second heater . Not drinking a Yeti of coffee is out of the question .

Sunday morning to cold not going in the morning .

4CF53EB5-AFB2-41F7-8C18-B9AACA084F82.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I like one piece clothing. A union suit underwear and a set of coveralls. Dry feet and some toe warmers. Muff for hands with a body warmer or two in there and a fleece baclava.  

Nothing like a nice, warm muff....Now what were we talking about  ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Try not to sweat on your way in - carry in your outer layers. Sit for a few and relax before putting the outer layers on. Bibs will keep your core warmer than pants. Good warm hat and keep your neck covered. Wear boots a size larger than you normally wear. Maybe not ideal if you have a long walk in but air is the best insulator and the extra room helps. Tight boots = cold toes in my experience. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rob-c said:

Figured we all could benefit from ways we keep ourselves warm on stand. 
Something I started doing was placing a body size hot hand on top my head under my wool hat. I actually was shocked how quickly it warmed  me up the first time I did it. 
I allways put deodorant on my feet so they won’t sweat, a preventive measure. 

So what’s some creative ways you all use? 

I've always thought about taking a shirt and sweatpants and sewing a bunch of pockets all over it to fit hand warmers in. A cheap headed jacket.

• Like 1

Coincidence I think not!

Blasphemy!!!!!!!!

• Like 1