Deer Camp Dinner ideas

Pav2704

Venison shepherd pie....It’s a Mrs Crappy specialty that she makes using venison bone stock and Irish Oxtail soup mix.

Trays of sausage and peppers

Mac and cheese (sky’s the limit here!)

Venison meatloaf- makes killer next day in stand sammiches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

When I used to go to my parents house to sleepover the night before gun opener to hunt with dad, I always requested that my Mom made spaghetti and meatballs. Last year I went to WNY and had an elk burger the night before the opener at a local bar.

While not always "deer camp" per se, I've had a lot of good meals over the years during hunting trips. My top 5 favorites were:

1. Bacon wrapped Mallard Duck on the grill in Minnesota
  2. Huge local and fresh T-Bone steak cooked on an open fire on cinder blocks with mesquite bush under it in Texas
  3. Fresh salmon in British Columbia
  4. Anything elk in Wyoming
  5. Local Black Angus steaks in southern Arizona

• Like 4

Venison Fajitas. (beef or chicken if you guys weren't lucky enough to get one earlier.)  the meat and onions and peppers can be done ahead of time and just warmed up and all the other fixin's are easy to pull out of the fridge and cooler.  Get the BIG flour tortillas, salsa, sour cream and shredded taco cheese. Lay it out n the table and everyone helps them selves. 

use McCormick's packet Fajita seasoning. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 5

All ideas sound good!!!  I've already done pasta and venison stew at camp this year.  We usually stop at the saloon on rt 145 for burgers on our way up.  Just looking for something different for Saturday night.

Never thought of making burgers in a crockpot... definitely sounds good!!!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Do tell...I need more info on how this works-my feeble kind can’t fathom crock pot burger. I struggle similarly with imitation crab meat so....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

If you did burger in a crockpot isn't that just portioned controlled meatloaf? lol

I dont know what sorcery is involved, I drop off ground venison and he shows up with them lol. I can tell you they have pineapple in them. Ill get more details. Dropoff is tonight