trail cam addiction

2012_taco

22 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

On the subject of Trail Cam's ..... whats the best way to view your SD Cards in the field ? I hate waiting till I get home to my computer !

I have the adaptor that plugs into my phone , I have 2 cards for every camera and usually just quickly swap cards and check when I get out of the woods.

• Like 1

If you have an iphone, the best way is the lightning jack. You plug SD card into lightning jack which goes into your phone. All the pics are now on phone and you hit delete and put SD card back into cam. It takes under 1 minute literally. 

3 hours ago, phade said:

I'm down in total number of cams this year but up significantly in cell cams. Only running around 35 cams right now instead of the ~50 normally, but 25 of them are cell cams. Expensive but they are making it more of a scouting tool. It's easier to see patterns and actions with cell cams because you aren't looking at one cam at a time from a location. 

You start to ID pretty quickly when behaviors change in near-real time. There is alot of value in that understanding when it comes to hunting strategy. 

phade - which cell cameras are you using?

Edited by escpen

Iv tried lots of brands, and Im frustrated with most. 

If you had to choose ONE basic (non cell phone) trailcam that took good pics (day + night), OK video, with good battery life and a useful warranty (or no need for one because its so great)

What would you pick??

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, escpen said:

phade - which cell cameras are you using?

I use all of them on some degree for research/competitive analysis and sales support purposes. Right now in the field, I have Spypoint, Moultrie, Browning, Cuddeback, Spartan, Stealth.

6 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Iv tried lots of brands, and Im frustrated with most. 

If you had to choose ONE basic (non cell phone) trailcam that took good pics (day + night), OK video, with good battery life and a useful warranty (or no need for one because its so great)

What would you pick??

Reconyx.

14 minutes ago, Otto said:

I’m in too, just can’t figure out which one(s) to get

Otto the Moultrie is having great rebates right now and have only used in one my yard a no hunting zone lol. I plan on deploying it next week to see how it works. I’m trying the Spartan cause I’ve heard it’s a world of a difference . I can’t wait to test em both . Next bow season should be a lot of fun. 

• Like 1

nobody here except for maybe phade comes close to the number of trail cams a couple friends of mine have. i myself only have several. trail cams are awesome fun for playing the game to find a specific buck when i have to be working. also it keeps an exact record of what's there. no BS big buck stories of a 2.5-3.5 yr old with the sun hitting their antlers a little better that sighting. at the same time it ruins the mystery of hunting them. that said i will have a cell cam or two or three in the near future.

nobody here except for maybe phade comes close to the number of trail cams a couple friends of mine have. i myself only have several. trail cams are awesome fun for playing the game to find a specific buck when i have to be working. also it keeps an exact record of what's there. no BS big buck stories of a 2.5-3.5 yr old with the sun hitting their antlers a little better that sighting. at the same time it ruins the mystery of hunting them. that said i will have a cell cam or two or three in the near future.
The Moultrie is 99 but I’m sure I’m gonna have to throw elbows on Black Friday for one lol
Is the sale online as well??......Cabela's runs alot of their deals like that.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Is the sale online as well??......Cabela's runs alot of their deals like that.

It was a Bass Pro flyer, not sure if it applies to Cabelas too. Looks to be in store only, and like typical Black Friday deals, there may be only 12 on the shelf and that's it. I would not be surprised to see similar deal on Cyber Monday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It was a Bass Pro flyer, not sure if it applies to Cabelas too. Looks to be in store only, and like typical Black Friday deals, there may be only 12 on the shelf and that's it. I would not be surprised to see similar deal on Cyber Monday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I just looked it up.....they are the same flyer......Basspro on top Cabelas under it

• Like 1

One thing I will say with cell cams is there is a learning curve. It's a product you should be buying local or at a place where you can get ongoing support. Box stores won't do it for you and it's only going to cause you frustration. I have clients who buy from me because I troubleshoot most of the cams based on experience - many of said clients are referenced in this post alone. Ask Sodfather if he got the same kind of prep instructions and tips for his Moultrie vs. the Spartan.

The hard part for me is that I've had to stop troubleshooting cams that were not purchased through me or if the client will not buy through me. A few members here have had me troubleshoot for hours, and then go buy a cam elsewhere, and then come back to ask me to troubleshoot their cam again. Current clients have asked me to stop troubleshooting because that's what they're buying when they buy from me.

Cams are fun, but the business part is hard work.

• Like 4

One thing I will say with cell cams is there is a learning curve. It's a product you should be buying local or at a place where you can get ongoing support. Box stores won't do it for you and it's only going to cause you frustration. I have clients who buy from me because I troubleshoot most of the cams based on experience - many of said clients are referenced in this post alone. Ask Sodfather if he got the same kind of prep instructions and tips for his Moultrie vs. the Spartan.
The hard part for me is that I've had to stop troubleshooting cams that were not purchased through me or if the client will not buy through me. A few members here have had me troubleshoot for hours, and then go buy a cam elsewhere, and then come back to ask me to troubleshoot their cam again. Current clients have asked me to stop troubleshooting because that's what they're buying when they buy from me.
Nothings free and time typically costs more than actual products.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I was able to talk@sodfather through his setup of the Moultrie, and he didn't buy the cam from me. That's what we do here, help each other out !

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

I was able to talk@sodfather through his setup of the Moultrie, and he didn't buy the cam from me. That's what we do here, help each other out !

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Yes for sure the cell cams are a learning curve. I also bought a cell cam from Phade and he to walked me through the setup. I now have a Spartan and a Moultrie and want to see what one is better. The Spartan is a lot more money but if it works on the lease it’s worth the money. The cell coverage out there is brutal. So far the Moultrie has been out there for about 2 weeks and hasn’t sent 1 pic. The Spartan hasn’t been out for deployment yet. I may start a different thread on the comparison of the two . 

• Like 1