NY Southern Zone Gun Opener 11/16

RJ_Outdoor_Experience

You'd be amazed how many people you'll see buying hunting licenses at a Walmart on opening morning of the gun season.   One year a number of years ago I bagged a buck first thing on opening morning.  A friend who was hunting with us had brought along his backtag, but didn't realize that he left the carcass tags home.  So we went to the nearest Walmart around noon or so to get replacement tags.  There must have been 50 people on line waiting to buy hunting licenses.  What the hell were they all waiting for?  I guess some folks wait until they put a buck on the ground before they bother to go buy a tag to put on it??  Amazing!!

Well you wouldn’t buy tires if you didn’t have a car would you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 11/13/2019 at 9:54 AM, Zem18 said:

There will be at least 9 of us at our camp down that way in 4w this weekend. Like you said, big woods and not a lot guys out there moving them anymore but we will try. Good Luck.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

AR and Saturday start changed things, imo

AR and Saturday start changed things, imo
Tomar hunt club not hunting the back side of their million acres hurt us. Can't get in there to get them moving so it's like a sanctuary and rarely do they escape onto our property. AR is not a bad thing for me. Shot a wide 5 and 2 8pts the first 3 years of AR. Good luck.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Cant wait opening day even though i enjoy bow season more has always been like my chritsmas and bday all rolled into one.

I’ve  never had a job where it was easy to get the day off, especially when it was on Monday and I worked a M-F job  . Then on the FD , we picked all time off a year in advance and Senior guys closed it out , about the time I was high enough on the seniority list I got promoted and back to the bottom .

But it is like all holidays rolled into one .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

Always excited for opening morning of regular season. This will be my 48th opening morning. And I always reflect back to the first few. Hunting with the old farmer guys that have long since passed on. The guys that took a fatherless, stubborn kid who found peace in the woods. Took him under their wings, and started him hunting. From my first opening morning, I can still smell and taste the strong black coffee, and the thick bacon, on homemade biscuits in the farmhouse kitchen. As we made "the plan" on who was going where. They were all shining examples of good men. And I hate to think where I may have ended up without their influences on my life. 

Ray, Don, Bill, and Warren......will be sitting with me in the morning. Whispering encouragement as always. And I will give my thanks to them again for doing what they did. And at some point, try to pass along to someone else, the values and love of hunting that they gave to me.

Well....

My hunting partner took a ride around this morning, and saw one of my target bucks near where I'm going in the morning!!! A four year old, heavy six point that i'm sure will dress out close to 200lbs. Hope to see him tomorrow!

Good luck to all of you. Keep safe. 

Shoot what you like, like what you shoot!!

• Like 17

Super psyched for tomorrow. I haven't missed an opening morning in 35 yrs.

That said, daughter is up from out of state with our 2 and 1/2 yr old granddaughter for her annual buck, and between my wife, daughter, and I, someone has to stay behind with Evelyn.

I'm thinking I may do the chivalrous thing and volunteer for the morning granddaughter watch. Sounds crazy, but this little smiling face makes it easy. Plus I'm off work til the 25th, back for 3 days and then off for 4 more. I'm more into the ladies getting their deer this year, and I can bat cleanup. As long as they don't have me recovering dead deer all afternoon, I'll be fine with getting out at noon for the rest of the day.

Facetimed with her last night and she told me for the umpteenth time that she wants to go get a buck with me. I can always lay the rifle outside on the deck...

IMG_8995.JPG

• Like 15

I am more excited than normal this year to bring out one of the QDMA participants.  Really hope to get him on his first deer.  Wind is not ideal for where we plan to sit but we do have more range with the 20g so here is hoping!  I still have a good feeling he will knock one down.  Good fortunes to all and safe hunting!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

4 degrees where I will be Saturday morning.   I don't  recall the temp being this low before on opening day. 

The tv stations and weather apps , have Friday’s overnight low ranging from 18 to 27 degrees . I’m gonna go with the station that says 27 ! 

• Like 1

The weatherman says 14 for a low at our house, but where I hunt the temp is always 4 degrees colder, so I'm looking at 10 degrees in the morning. No matter what it's going to be cold.Today was a great day to be in the woods , I was able to sit all day without much trouble.I also saw the big buck I'm after, unfortunately he was about 60 yds away, but at least I know he is still around and tomorrow is another day.Good luck everyone and be safe!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Super psyched for tomorrow. I haven't missed an opening morning in 35 yrs.

That said, daughter is up from out of state with our 2 and 1/2 yr old granddaughter for her annual buck, and between my wife, daughter, and I, someone has to stay behind with Evelyn.

I'm thinking I may do the chivalrous thing and volunteer for the morning granddaughter watch. Sounds crazy, but this little smiling face makes it easy. Plus I'm off work til the 25th, back for 3 days and then off for 4 more. I'm more into the ladies getting their deer this year, and I can bat cleanup. As long as they don't have me recovering dead deer all afternoon, I'll be fine with getting out at noon for the rest of the day.

Facetimed with her last night and she told me for the umpteenth time that she wants to go get a buck with me. I can always lay the rifle outside on the deck...

IMG_8995.JPG

She’s a cutie , you made the right choice. 

• Like 2

Game on!  I've been out xbow hunting a new piece of land with a buddy who just started hunting.  What a switch from just a few years back when I was the new guy!  We won't harvest any monarchs, but we'll have a great time out there.  

Good luck to all and be safe downrange. :good: