NY Southern Zone Gun Opener 11/16

RJ_Outdoor_Experience

Who is ready for NY gun this weekend? I’m looking forward to the upcoming season. I’ve checked out our 3 tree stands and 1 blind. They all appear ready to go. I have a few big bucks roaming the farm (4F). Hopefully one walks up this weekend. I’ll be using my 30/30 Winchester with iron sights. One of my favorites.

Follow our blog on Instagram:

rj_outdoor_experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still trying to bag a buck with my crossbow but with the very cold temps we've been having the last couple of days I haven't been able to sit in the stand all day like I was hoping to do.15 degrees out right now..But I definitely will be on stand all day Saturday if need be.I will be hunting the same area I have been hunting with a crossbow.I have a ladder stand watching the edge of a hemlock swamp that I will use for rifle season.I have pics of a 10 pointer from earlier this fall.I'm hoping he is still around.

I swear the older i get the more excited i get for the gun opener, the anticipation is a killer. I guess it always elicits great memories when i was a kid and i would tag along with my dad,. When i was around 8-10 years old my dad took me on a hunt, deep snow, real cold, saw him miss a running doe thru a field at last light, he was shooting and doe had a hard time escaping through the belly deep snow. Remember like it was yesrterday. Im now 49 and him 80. My desire to hunt gets greater with each passing year. Thanks Dad, the man who started my obsession!!

• Like 6

not willing to throw in the towel on bow yet but i am looking forward to sat as well.  I moved my favorite gun stand 40 yards in the off season to better line up where the deer usually come out.  Have killed a few from this stand, buddy got one from there last year.  It hasnt been hunted all of bow season cause 20-30 yards is just too brushy.  But once your past that its overlooking the edge of a swamp and back side of a pond.  Plan on sitting there Sat with the 06 and have at em. 

opener 2.0.jpg

opener 2.0 again.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 3

I am excited for Saturday and am fortunate enough to be off (after tomorrow) until the week after Thanksgiving. My wife is working so I plan on spending a TON of time in the woods. 

Bow season has been a challenge for me this year, darn near every hunt, including today's, was derailed by something. I'm planning on heading out Friday am for one last bow hunt/recon mission, then to the gun club to give a final check to the rifles on the way home.

2 hours ago, Freytown said:

Will be somewhere near Hancock 4W. Weather looks to moderate for Saturday and I hope it puts hunters in the woods. Last few years not many guys around...we shall see. Good luck and be safe...wear FO.    FT

3H used to sound like that opening morning, Now just a few shots here and there.

D58D85B5-EAD3-4FEE-8EAC-4A5625AC797D.jpeg

• Like 2

Between the weather and having a good buck already from bow season , my anticipation is more for going out with friends then pulling the trigger, this two week break sure was nice  . Plans are sit sat morning with daughter in hut, for two hours go home come back by myself for last two. Sleep in Sunday and sit last two. Monday hunt “ all day “ with my friend Joe, but mostly looking forward to going to lunch with him.

After that I’ll go when I feel like it , nice days of low wind and moderate temps. My spot is  an island in a sea of crop fields, very little pressure , it hunts good well into gun .

I should probably wash my hunting coat and bibs, I sweated my a$$ off in them snow blowing yesterday and may have spilled some gas on the legs .

• Like 1

I'm still not sure what my plan is lol. I got a 17 yo son who hates the cold. The temp is looking to be in the mid teens. Option 1 is hitting the island, state land, with bro, bro in law and his son. Cons have to get up at 3 3:30 to get up, drive an hour, hike 30 minutes, carry a bunch of gear so not get sweaty and freeze to get in before someone else and son might bail. Pros 90 % chance of seeing deer and hunting with the gang. Option 2 hunting behind the house. Pro get up at 4:30-5 am put him in heated tower, i'd got in a ladder other end of prop. Cons 60% chance seeing deer and I hunt these deer anytime.

Probably decide Friday night  smh

• Like 2

3H used to sound like that opening morning, Now just a few shots here and there.
D58D85B5-EAD3-4FEE-8EAC-4A5625AC797D.jpeg.7824b934e399d8f719f2962429866fe1.jpeg
I can remember 30 years ago I would count gun shots the first day only in 3H and 3K and could easily surpass 75 shots heard. Last year I heard less than 25.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I cant wait . Seems hardly anyone is hunting state land in East Otto this year so maybe we will see some deer after 8am. We use to get excited that the state landers would push everything to us but less and less deer over the years and still standing corn down the road has the deer on different patterns. Good luck every hunter hope we all get your trophies!

Will be somewhere near Hancock 4W. Weather looks to moderate for Saturday and I hope it puts hunters in the woods. Last few years not many guys around...we shall see. Good luck and be safe...wear FO.    FT
There will be at least 9 of us at our camp down that way in 4w this weekend. Like you said, big woods and not a lot guys out there moving them anymore but we will try. Good Luck.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Fletch, you and me both ! Daughter hates the cold no matter how much she layers up . The heated hut, is an easy walk, and the camera there that  I checked last Sat. was out 5 days, and had bucks there in the morning 3 out of 5 or 60% of the time ..... 

I am not done with bow yet either. I am still looking for a buck,my neighbor texted me about that one just 100 yds up the road,he was in the same spot last week. I went looking for him and followed some tracks,but it turns out i am no buckmaster. I knew that already though. Thursday and Friday left to make it happen. I am content with my bow season though,got two does in the freezer.

So for gun i will take it easy. The first week of gun feels like cheating after having to get so close to deer during bow.

13 minutes ago, Nomad said:

And while everyone here has their gun ready, knife sharp, fresh batteries in their lights , clothes washed and ready , my daughter has yet to even buy her license .

You'd be amazed how many people you'll see buying hunting licenses at a Walmart on opening morning of the gun season.   One year a number of years ago I bagged a buck first thing on opening morning.  A friend who was hunting with us had brought along his backtag, but didn't realize that he left the carcass tags home.  So we went to the nearest Walmart around noon or so to get replacement tags.  There must have been 50 people on line waiting to buy hunting licenses.  What the hell were they all waiting for?  I guess some folks wait until they put a buck on the ground before they bother to go buy a tag to put on it??  Amazing!!

Edited by steve863
  • Like 2