So what's your self imposed restrictions for the SZ opner?

mowin

No beer before 10 a.m.,other than that no restrictions at all.

No seriously though,i used my doe tag during bow,so the ladies are safe until MZ season. A 2.5 year old buck would be nice,but i think a decent 1 1/2 year old might tempt me. I might tag out early,generally i don't enjoy just having a buck tag. 

I'm hunting WNY and will impose on myself my typical buck limits. I'm looking for a 2.5 year old buck or better. However, there are 2 exceptions. 1. something non-typical/freaky i will definitely shoot. 2. Anything 6pt or better I would probably shoot unless its super tight/small rack. This may be a 1.5 year old in WNY. But I'm certainly not passing a nice 6 or 8pt because he's 1.5. Hoping for my first ever 2-buck season, but won't shoot a small just one just to do it.

• Like 3

Coming off of just shooting my best buck a week and a half ago, I'm not going to hold out for something better because in reality I won't see one bigger than 135". Whatever feels right or fun at the time is getting it. A doe for sure, I'm actually meeting my father and brother on some state land even though I'm on a good lease this year with good bucks. My father is in his 70's now and I'll regret not joining them even if the hunting isn't the best, it could be my last opener with him, you just never know. I say if it feels right then pull the trigger. A "wall hanger" is different for everyone.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Finally getting my first sit with@Chef
He is sitting in a hot spot where he saw two shooters last year opening day within a few hours.
We are both going for big bucks ( no doe tags) , we have AR, but we are specifically looking for the big boy we have on camera. Biggest buck we've seen around. He was not seen since bow season started but we still have hope that he will show.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jmp5008 said:

Finally getting my first sit with@Chef
He is sitting in a hot spot where he saw two shooters last year opening day within a few hours.
We are both going for big bucks ( no doe tags) , we have AR, but we are specifically looking for the big boy we have on camera. Biggest buck we've seen around. He was not seen since bow season started but we still have hope that he will show.

Welcome back, bud! It's that time of year when you come alive on the forum!

• Like 1

I'm pretty much set after punching two tags already. Buck has to be 120 or better. I have some friends that will need some meat so I may shoot another doe or 2. No pressure sits for me, although I think the rut active has picked up near me and might be a good opening weekend for some of us!!

I'm hoping to hold out for a 3.5 yr old buck. I've gotten two of them on camera using my property semi regularly. The problem is there is a really nice 2.5 year old that's been here all over the place too and I could see myself mistaking him for one of the others if I only get a quick look. I probably won't shoot any does as my place but will over at an orchard I hunt where they eat the heck out out of the apple trees.

Could still use some more meat for the year plus I like when I have extra and I can share the wealth to friends that weren't so lucky. My mentality has changed over the years to where I now only shoot at larger bodied deer. Racks don't mean a whole lot to me as long as the body is a decent size. Of course that also means a have a tendency to pass at the smaller racked bucks now vs what I would shoot in the past. 

Finally getting my first sit with[mention=762]Chef[/mention]

We’ll see bow season was pretty tough on me, I put in a lot of hours on the stand passed a lot of deer waiting for him. That first morning I’d say 8 or better but even the right 6 or 7 may do, after this weekend I will really only have one day a week to hunt so we’ll see if I don’t see a nice buck I may just wait till late Mz/bow and take a doe. I can’t go meatless this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really haven't decided. I know of 2-3 real nice ones around, but other than that, it'll depend how I feel at the moment (AND how cold, tired and frustrated I am)! I've been out 35 times so far with the bow, logging 127 hours in the stand. Needless to say, my frustration level is pretty high right now.... :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Cabin Fever said:

Really haven't decided. I know of 2-3 real nice ones around, but other than that, it'll depend how I feel at the moment (AND how cold, tired and frustrated I am)! I've been out 35 times so far with the bow, logging 127 hours in the stand. Needless to say, my frustration level is pretty high right now.... :rolleyes:

Damn 127hrs. on stand, think i have like 15 hrs. tops. Ouch, thats gotta reek havoc on your butt and back.

• Like 1

Hope to get a few young hunters into spots where they will see and have an opportunity at a doe or buck. Fortunately  all the youngins got doe permits. For myself.. idk not.really in mood to shoot anything. Season is so long......

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 3

I'm hoping to take an 8pt or better but if a smaller buck gets my blood pumping I'll take him. 

I'm very thankful for the buck that I took during archery season but filling my buck tag on the first Saturday of the season and not buck hunting the rest of bow season was kind of a bummer.