So what's your self imposed restrictions for the SZ opner?

mowin

We've got a few nice bucks running around with only one taken so far that I know of. I'd like to hold out for one of those as any of them would be either close to my best or maybe better. 

Holding off on filling a doe tag to do it with my grandson at the end of the second week and it wouldn't kill me to have a buck tag left. If he was there, I'd shoot a one and a half year old just for the experience of doing it with him there (we have three does under our belts).

Wife and daughter deer are a priority for me.

The only real restriction I have is not getting injured in any way. Crap it seems like since I've hit 60, I can get injured walking to the fridge! - lol.

• Like 2

I’m with Jerry ! I won’t take another “ good  buck “ because I already got one and two would be two, that my daughter and friends that may come with me won’t get a crack at . It would be greedy I think , I must be getting soft .

Now if the biggest buck of my life walks by , that’s another story .

• Like 2

It’s been an on and off now season. When the deer were “on” I was off my feet recovering from injury. That being said, I’ll be balancing between getting some meat for the freezer and hunting for a mature buck. Five doe tags along with an either sex and my regular buck tag makes for a lot of leeway but no small bucks. 

Antlerless tags are very difficult to fill at my two spots in the southern zone.  I have not seen any for sure thru archery season, and I am certainly not holding off if any show up during gun (have (4) dmp tags).   Usually, my rule for antlered bucks is 3 points on a side or more up until Thanksgiving (a 3" unicorn is enough after that).  I am upping that to 4 points on a side / outside the ears this year, because the freezer is in good shape now (thanks to leftovers from last year and a solid, well-outside-the-ears 8-point) and I really missed having a gun buck tag up in the Adirondacks for my annual trip last Thanksgiving.   I would be thrilled with a decent button buck on opening day, and my wife even more so.        

Edited by wolc123

I pretty much have no restrictions. In years past, I would pass does and occasionally end up not filling a tag. But I've been fortunate this year to get 2 deer and to share the meat with folks who appreciate it, so it is not greed on my part to want to fill more tags. I probably only have 20 pounds of venison in the freezer and I'm ok with that.

1c is overrun with deer and hunters need to do their part or there will be more culls and sterilization programs. For my part, I am willing to fill my remaining buck and doe tags. I'd love to take the 8 pt that I've been targetting even though it is nothing special and I'd happily take another doe. Spikes and fawns will continue to get passes.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1