Setting Up For My Longest Kill Shot

grampy

I don't have any advice to give because like you, I have never shot past 100yds. If I had to guess I would say 60-70 yds is probably the furthest I have shot. I have my rifle sited at 100. Not an inch high like many.

The one thing I do know is that if there is a guy on this forum that can make that shot with confidence and ethics it is you. If it feels right you will squeeze that and send it home and if it doesn't seem quite right you will live to fight another day and be happy with the experience. Win win either way!

32 minutes ago, ny hunter said:

I have a feeling your gonna drop the buck of a life time....I have a 270 and would take a shot at 200 yards with confidence ....Good luck...

The reason for this set up being there, is a deer of a lifetime is a possibility in this spot. This is where they spend a lot of time. The area is now split. If he goes from one end to the other, he has to cross this cut. There is a cliff at the other end of this cut! Somewhere between that cliff and me, any deer going through, will have to cross that cut.

Been thinking of doing this for years! Made it happen. So now I just need to make the shot. "If" the deer follow the plan....we'll see. That's hunting!

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, grampy said:

The reason for this set up being there, is a deer of a lifetime is a possibility in this spot. This is where they spend a lot of time. The area is now split. If he goes from one end to the other, he has to cross this cut. There is a cliff at the other end of this cut! Somewhere between that cliff and me, any deer going through, will have to cross that cut.

Been thinking of doing this for years! Made it happen. So now I just need to make the shot. "If" the deer follow the plan....we'll see. That's hunting!

Good luck with the plan.^_^

Don't overthink this. Stick the crosshairs on the vitals and pull the trigger if you know you have a shooter.

Only shots I have ever flubbed were from messing around and not getting down to business and those were well north of 3 and 400+ yds.

That 270 win the soft bullet your using will put a hurting on a deer easy.

Can't wait to see pics.:drinks:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20191110_152221.thumb.jpg.80bc377d63dbaa8ebcf005f01a3ee4d8.jpg
My longest kill shot was just a little over a hundred yards. And that was many years ago. Probably 90% of all my deer shots have been sixty yards or less over 48 years of hunting. 
Until possibly this year.....
In the above pic is my set up for opening morning on Saturday. To the end of that lane is 214 yards. The lane separates two bedding areas leading to feeding. 
I'm shooting a 270 with good glass, and my own handloads. Yes, I've practiced out to 200 and beyond, but never shot at a deer that far before. Don't know why, but as the time gets closer, I'm feeling more apprehensive about this.
This is a well thought out spot that was cleared this summer for just this purpose! I would hate to pass it up after all the work done, because I'm iffy about going out of my comfort zone!
I know to many of you, 200 yards is a chip shot! But to me it's a long ways, and I don't want a missed or worse, wounded deer!!
Of course if I can pull off this shot, it would be a highlight of my hunting career! 
Any suggestions from the longer range shooters at live deer, that can help calm me down. This is a real issue for me.

What will you be using for a rest in the blind, as long as you have a solid rest and aren’t shooting off hand I say go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, Chef said:

What will you be using for a rest in the blind, as long as you have a solid rest and aren’t shooting off hand I say go for it.

Trigger stick tri-pod.

Have used it at the range, so very comfortable with it.

• Like 1

Pay attention!!! He told us that already!!!

I LOVE the fact that you (what?! even GRAMPY!) gets excited about something new in the outdoors. I imagine you have seen and done most things afield and this weekend will be time to check another box. Thanks for taking us along for the journey!

And oh yeah, will you be using sticks or something?!?! Just in case chef misses it again!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

But here's what is bound to happen... Setup for 200 yards.. deer comes out under 40.  Lol. That's the way it usually works. 

Just when I thought I was the only pessimist around... :pleasantry: 

Assuming Grampy has an idea where a 40yrd shot would impact!!?!!

10 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Just when I thought I was the only pessimist around... :pleasantry: 

Assuming Grampy has an idea where a 40yrd shot would impact!!?!!

at 40yds he should be aiming dead on just like any shot up to 215yds. If he's 1.5" high at 100yds, the bullet is lower at 40yds so should be perfect. Don't overthink it. He's good 0-215yds with the same exact shot placement. 1-2" impact is minimal. It's on the shooter (not the rifle) at this point.

You got this grampy! A good rest is all you need. Looking forward to the dead buck pic - at 200 with pic taken from your blind!

Most of my good stands are on field edges or at least can see into fields so I have a lot of distance opportunities. Most of my recent rifle deer have been between 60 and 150 the past few years, but I dropped a doe in her tracks with a .270 at 205 (ranged it after the shot) a few years ago. Good feeling to see her collapse at that range through the scope. 

I'll be looking forward to seeing that pic!