Setting Up For My Longest Kill Shot

grampy

20191110_152221.thumb.jpg.80bc377d63dbaa8ebcf005f01a3ee4d8.jpg

My longest kill shot was just a little over a hundred yards. And that was many years ago. Probably 90% of all my deer shots have been sixty yards or less over 48 years of hunting. 

Until possibly this year.....

In the above pic is my set up for opening morning on Saturday. To the end of that lane is 214 yards. The lane separates two bedding areas leading to feeding. 

I'm shooting a 270 with good glass, and my own handloads. Yes, I've practiced out to 200 and beyond, but never shot at a deer that far before. Don't know why, but as the time gets closer, I'm feeling more apprehensive about this.

This is a well thought out spot that was cleared this summer for just this purpose! I would hate to pass it up after all the work done, because I'm iffy about going out of my comfort zone!

I know to many of you, 200 yards is a chip shot! But to me it's a long ways, and I don't want a missed or worse, wounded deer!!

Of course if I can pull off this shot, it would be a highlight of my hunting career! 

Any suggestions from the longer range shooters at live deer, that can help calm me down. This is a real issue for me.

• Like 1

If you have practiced at that range, and are sure of your equipment, it shoudnt be an issue. That being said, paper targets are different than live targets, and different people have different reactions. The first buck I ever shot with my muzzleloader was 190 yards. I had practiced with that gun at that range alot, and knew that I just had to do my part.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grampy said:

My longest kill shot was just a little over a hundred yards. And that was many years ago. Probably 90% of all my deer shots have been sixty yards or less over 48 years of hunting. 

In the above pic is my set up for opening morning on Saturday. To the end of that lane is 214 yards. The lane separates two bedding areas leading to feeding. 

I'm shooting a 270 with good glass, and my own handloads. Yes, I've practiced out to 200 and beyond, but never shot at a deer that far before. Don't know why, but as the time gets closer, I'm feeling more apprehensive about this.

This is a well thought out spot that was cleared this summer for just this purpose! I would hate to pass it up after all the work done, because I'm iffy about going out of my comfort zone!

I know to many of you, 200 yards is a chip shot! But to me it's a long ways, and I don't want a missed or worse, wounded deer!!

Of course if I can pull off this shot, it would be a highlight of my hunting career! 

Any suggestions from the longer range shooters at live deer, that can help calm me down. This is a real issue for me.

My first suggestion would be to know your gun. You said you practiced to 200 yards, so where do you hit? What is your scope zero'd at 100? 200? etc. 

You got this. You’ve put in the time shooting long distance. You know to take you’re time and watch the body language of the deer, and knowing the deer is calm and knowing your self loaded bullet is way more accurate than a factory round . It will connect. 
Looking forward to seeing the harvest photo with the yardage posted of the shot. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

My first suggestion would be to know your gun. You said you practiced to 200 yards, so where do you hit? What is your scope zero'd at 100? 200? etc. 

I have a plus inch and a half zero at a hundred yards. At two hundred it's about half a inch low.  I know this rifle very well! Have put over 300 rounds down range with it. It is a VERY accurate and consistent gun.

My issue isn't hitting targets. I hit those just fine!  Just not any experience on real deer that far.

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

You got this Dave.  Put the crosshairs on shoulder and squeeze.  No doubting yourself permitted.

Thanks Brian. That is likely the best advice I could get.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, grampy said:

I have a plus inch and a half zero at a hundred yards. At two hundred it's about half a inch low.  I know this rifle very well! Have put over 300 rounds down range with it. It is a VERY accurate and consistent gun.

My issue isn't hitting targets. I hit those just fine!  Just not any experience on real deer that far.

Thanks Brian. That is likely the best advice I could get.  

That's perfect. Aim & Shoot, you don't need to use rangefinder so it's 1 less thing to think about. Like Moog said, treat it like a 60 yard shot.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, grampy said:

Like you told me about bow hunting Dave, think about going through your steps

Exhale, Align, squeeze gently, should be a surprise to you when that gun bucks in your hands.

• Like 1

It looks like your shooting out of a blind so my only tips would be your position and rest. I imagine some kind of shooting sticks. So just make sure you position your seat and all so that is a comfortable shot prior to actually getting the shot. You got it!!

• Like 1

300+ rounds down range with a gun your very comfortable and confident in. At this point it should all be all natural instincts taking over when a deer steps out at 200 yards. Don’t think about it and get in your own head. Get the crosshairs on the deer and squeeze the trigger when ready. No different that a 60 yard shot. You got this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The mechanics are there just dont let it into your head . The gun will do its thing you just need to breath ... steady  and squeeze slow . Aim small hit small.. don't look at the deer ... look for that single hair.  That little crease behind the shoulder ... dot the I . You got this with all the range time .

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Will your grandson be in that stand with you?  

At some point yes. Saturday there is an athletic department holiday fundraiser. So he will be there. I think that his little friend from the cheer squad being there too, is a contributing factor....lol Possibly Sunday he will get out with me? He knows anytime he wants, he can go. And it will be all about him!! Him getting a deer is much more important to me. But I will never pressure him to go. And I'll love him either way.

I want to thank each and every one of you guys for the reply! You will never know how much you have put my twisted mind at ease! It really was to the point where I was just going to go to a different spot! And not hunt this great set up, I've worked hard to put in.

I have total confidence in my rifle. In the right hands, no doubt it could drop a deer way past where I'm fretting over! I think it's just a confidence issue with me not wanting to make a bad shot, doing something I've never done? It kinda is hard to teach an old dog new tricks I guess? I do have a triggerstick trip-pod for a solid rest. And now, thanks to you guys, I'm going there and getting it done, if the deer cooperate!

This place is pretty special in the way we all help each other. You guys have certainly helped me here. Thanks. 

• Like 6