Cell Cams

sodfather

I'm running several Spypoint Link Micro's. Reception is key so buy whichever version works best in your area. So far I like the link Micro's, the image quality gets compressed via the app but it's plenty good enough to identify the quality of deer. It's the biggest advancement in hunting in a long time in my opinion. I attribute my buck kill this year to knowing exactly where I needed to be even while I was at work still. Battery life is good so far, I'm getting over a month on a set. The free app works well, you get 100 free pics a month after the first month which is unlimited. Buying a bigger plan is quick and easy. The camera price is the best pricepoint of any cellular camera. I'll attach a few pics that I've gotten below. Screenshot_20191112-162627.jpgScreenshot_20191112-162250.jpgScreenshot_20191112-162206.jpgScreenshot_20191012-173814.jpgImage-1_02.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Check out cuddeback, they have a cuddelink system where you can link multiple cams so pics are fed to one cam, I believe you can have them sent via cell. I might head this direction next yr, that way I can have multiple cams spread out over many acres and check one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigbuckdown2019 said:

Check out cuddeback, they have a cuddelink system where you can link multiple cams so pics are fed to one cam, I believe you can have them sent via cell. I might head this direction next yr, that way I can have multiple cams spread out over many acres and check one.

I was checking the cuddeback out but the main camera takes 6 D batteries and the small ones take 12 AA. That’s a lot of money in batteries..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I had one of the originals from Phade and it was great,  no apps or other B'S.  Just stick the card in and program the number you want it to text pictures too. It was like Xmas morning everytime I got a text message from "trail camera"

Does it still work

I'm running several Spypoint Link Micro's. Reception is key so buy whichever version works best in your area. So far I like the link Micro's, the image quality gets compressed via the app but it's plenty good enough to identify the quality of deer. It's the biggest advancement in hunting in a long time in my opinion. I attribute my buck kill this year to knowing exactly where I needed to be even while I was at work still. Battery life is good so far, I'm getting over a month on a set. The free app works well, you get 100 free pics a month after the first month which is unlimited. Buying a bigger plan is quick and easy. The camera price is the best pricepoint of any cellular camera. I'll attach a few pics that I've gotten below. Screenshot_20191112-162627.thumb.jpg.7cb911e58e2666022a671f7f11f9e7ce.jpgScreenshot_20191112-162250.thumb.jpg.d2c9d4fe6e3737e0f280496f0fb5e0b8.jpgScreenshot_20191112-162206.thumb.jpg.1860634bb420662244e208f8f9270889.jpgScreenshot_20191012-173814.thumb.jpg.2c6177ef355d0230c5e6b5cca1f90080.jpgImage-1_02.jpg.de501366be965c7752fbc34deea7c672.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

That’s the cam I almost bought. I might next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had one of the originals from Phade and it was great,  no apps or other B'S.  Just stick the card in and program the number you want it to text pictures too. It was like Xmas morning everytime I got a text message from "trail camera"

Same here. Every morning I woke up I checked my phone immediately lol. I think paid $5 per month. I miss it

• Like 1

Same here. Every morning I woke up I checked my phone immediately lol. I think paid $5 per month. I miss it

Had the same cam.....was heading home one day and got a pick of an absolute stud entering my woodlot from the cut corn.....called my wife and said change of plans this stud was close and I needed to setup. He ended up skirting me that afternoon and was chasing ladies all over the cut corn. Neighbor ending up shooting him a day or two later and he expired on our property while my dad was out hunting. He called me before the deer died and said "I have an absolute monster bedded right out of bow range and am shaking so bad i am not sure I can shoot him if he walks past". Long story short a cell cam can get the blood flowing!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I still use mine but as standard cams. They were good and cheap and I leave mine out year round

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have a Spypoint, a couple of Spartans and some Cuddebacks. By far my favorite for picture quality are my Spartans. Love love love those cameras. Second would be my Cuddebacks, the Cuddelink feature is awesome, picture quality is great, but the down side to them is that unless you use them as individual cell cams, they dont send pics to your phone immediately. I have a home base unit on my deck and then cams in the woods throughout the property, and just check one card, which is awesome. The Spypoint, well, I cant say as I would recommend it really. Its a lower end cam as far as picture quality and picking up animals at a distance, and the cell service is more expensive than any other camera that I know of.

I have been seeing and hearing alot of great stuff about the new Browning cell cams. I loved my browning regular cams I had, and am looking forward to getting my hands on one or two of the cell models at some point.

• Like 1

Spypoint is playing the pricepoint game - You'll find alot more people who have problems with them than who don't. Their CS has been a huge failure; they cannot service customers. Apparently they're hiring more people to respond. Cams send and then don't randomly. Have to update firmware or visit cam to reset card. They need to focus on refinement. I had to stop selling them because in the 6 mos. I sold them, I had more client issues with their cams than I had with all of my other brands combined for FOUR YEARS. Spypoint also pulled a fast one on some of the Nationwide Micro models - marketed as 4G - someone opened one up and inside are 3G modems. Spypoint admitted to it on social media a few weeks back. They say they'll take care of customers affected. People still like them though - same reason why WGI sells the most cams....cheap is good. 

Moultrie is expensive from a monthly plan POV. The cams themselves are OK - pic quality ranges from solid to poor. I can't figure out why. Some pics are awesome. Others look like you have beer goggles on when reviewing them. I question their modem and antenna parts - I suspect they're using cheaper internals. Their app is lacking IMO.

Stealth has the most annoying cam set-up and connection to network in field takes foooorever (insert Sandlot version here). That said...they've been rock solid. Brutally honest I wanted to hate them, but they work and work and work and work. Some limitations but they've been reliable for me. I have 10 in the field, with one that is now 12 mos. old.

Browning - I was fortunate to be provided an opportunity to have an early model Browning - cams 5 through 12 in their production line. So far the cams are a pic taking machine. It doesn't miss a thing and it takes alot of pics if you don't hold it back some on delay and pic per trigger. App is in its infancy IMO. It's brand new and apps usually get much much better after a few weeks and months of revisions and updates. Plan costs are high, but you can have confidence you won't miss a thing with this cam. Offers red IR and blackflash in one cam. Video sent is good. Real good. 

Spartan - Still the class of the field with the Ghost model. Expensive to buy and expensive to run if not added to a current data plan on Verizon. I have multiples of these out, and I can tell you I haven't had to visit one of them except to put in new lithium in September. Browning slightly better on trigger speed/sensing zone combo, but not by enough to sway. Spartan sent pic quality is still the best; Browning has good nightime image quality on red IR flash. Black flash is better on the Spartan by a considerable amount IMO. You can really control the cam well remotely. Battery life has been excellent - best I've ever seen on internals. Has a true GPS feature and with the internal battery - guess what, if it's boosted, you get coordinates you can track.

Cuddelink - Good platform; not the best one to get into cell cams for the first time. UX is horrible if not familiar with Cuddeback. Takes trial and error to get it dialed in. Once it's done though, it works extremely well. Power needs to be addressed from the get-go. I tell clients to buy Cuddelink no later than July 4. That gives them a month to learn how to use it, and a month to perfect it for their ground. From there they can run it through the season with no issues. Great option for people willing to learn the curve and not get frustrated. Cannot communicate to cams remotely though. That is the biggest opportunity for them to improve. Overall, this system is solid. You can even have a whiteflash model for color night images. Probably the best option for people with a large parcel that they plan to set-up and let run year-round.

Edited by phade
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, phade said:

Spypoint is playing the pricepoint game - You'll find alot more people who have problems with them than who don't. Their CS has been a huge failure; they cannot service customers. Apparently they're hiring more people to respond. Cams send and then don't randomly. Have to update firmware or visit cam to reset card. They need to focus on refinement. I had to stop selling them because in the 6 mos. I sold them, I had more client issues with their cams than I had with all of my other brands combined for FOUR YEARS. Spypoint also pulled a fast one on some of the Nationwide Micro models - marketed as 4G - someone opened one up and inside are 3G modems. Spypoint admitted to it on social media a few weeks back. They say they'll take care of customers affected. People still like them though - same reason why WGI sells the most cams....cheap is good. 

Moultrie is expensive from a monthly plan POV. The cams themselves are OK - pic quality ranges from solid to poor. I can't figure out why. Some pics are awesome. Others look like you have beer goggles on when reviewing them. I question their modem and antenna parts - I suspect they're using cheaper internals. Their app is lacking IMO.

Stealth has the most annoying cam set-up and connection to network in field takes foooorever (insert Sandlot version here). That said...they've been rock solid. Brutally honest I wanted to hate them, but they work and work and work and work. Some limitations but they've been reliable for me. I have 10 in the field, with one that is now 12 mos. old.

Browning - I was fortunate to be provided an opportunity to have an early model Browning - cams 5 through 12 in their production line. So far the cams are a pic taking machine. It doesn't miss a thing and it takes alot of pics if you don't hold it back some on delay and pic per trigger. App is in its infancy IMO. It's brand new and apps usually get much much better after a few weeks and months of revisions and updates. Plan costs are high, but you can have confidence you won't miss a thing with this cam. Offers red IR and blackflash in one cam. Video sent is good. Real good. 

Spartan - Still the class of the field with the Ghost model. Expensive to buy and expensive to run if not added to a current data plan on Verizon. I have multiples of these out, and I can tell you I haven't had to visit one of them except to put in new lithium in September. Browning slightly better on trigger speed/sensing zone combo, but not by enough to sway. Spartan sent pic quality is still the best; Browning has good nightime image quality on red IR flash. Black flash is better on the Spartan by a considerable amount IMO. You can really control the cam well remotely. Battery life has been excellent - best I've ever seen on internals. Has a true GPS feature and with the internal battery - guess what, if it's boosted, you get coordinates you can track.

Cuddelink - Good platform; not the best one to get into cell cams for the first time. UX is horrible if not familiar with Cuddeback. Takes trial and error to get it dialed in. Once it's done though, it works extremely well. Power needs to be addressed from the get-go. I tell clients to buy Cuddelink no later than July 4. That gives them a month to learn how to use it, and a month to perfect it for their ground. From there they can run it through the season with no issues. Great option for people willing to learn the curve and not get frustrated. Cannot communicate to cams remotely though. That is the biggest opportunity for them to improve. Overall, this system is solid. You can even have a whiteflash model for color night images. Probably the best option for people with a large parcel that they plan to set-up and let run year-round.

What is the typical distance you can safely get between cameras and still have everything work properly?