2019 UHRV Field to Fork Program

Field to fork mentee Steve made it out to my family's farm. The farm is part of a community wide QDM cooperative of several thousand contiguous acres. Steve had practically no firearms or hunting experience prior to the program. Yesterday was his 3rd time out hunting and as you all know it was the last day of NY southern zone regular season. Steve ended up making a great standing shot on a nice doe with a 7mm-08 rested on shooting sticks. We managed to get within somewhere around 30 yards of the doe, for a close shot. The area had gotten well over 2 feet of snow in the beginning of the week, which changed up deer movement a bit. Thankfully I have a snowmobile for access and recovery. He got a hands-on field dressing tutorial. Steve is a chef with some butchering experience so I showed him how to skin, quarter, and bone out the rest of the carcass once getting them off the mountain. He's going to do the very last bit of processing that he's familiar with.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4cafb14e1d0ad30df7be846c6ef898b5.jpgbed6bdd1f7edd71b0fd7f232714bb54f.jpg918f1862824a3a82cd5f65b6bd888b81.jpg

• Like 8

LOVE it happening just under the bell. Nice job Dan and doubling up with him. Are you guys all done or are there any ML hunts scheduled?
Not sure what remaining mentees plans are. I'm going to have my ML ready in case. We're kind of at the threshold for doe quota for the farm but still as a co-op have small number of DMAP tags available from landowners who turned them back in mid season. I might be able to take one more this weekend that's within reasonable travel distance of the farm. Can always go to them if they have an over the counter dmp for where they have access.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...