Best Mechanical Broadhead

squirrelwhisperer

What is the best mechanical/expandable broadhead in your opinion?

I always shot the G5 Montec fixed blades. I have never had one fail but have, at times, been wishing for more of a blood trail to track. Just purchased some Muzzy Trocar HB hybrids. Give em a shot (pun intended) lol. I really like the look of the NAP Spitfire. Was looking for some feedback from my bowhunting forum brothers. 

I have had good luck with NAP mechanicals, which are the only broadheads I've used for the last decade or more. I shoot a relatively low speed/energy bow and don't always get a good blood trail or full pass through, but the deer don't go far if the shot is well placed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Be careful with the muzzy trocar hybrids I believe they are not legal in NY because they do not rotate forward like the rage do. Ive had DEC “inspect” my Rage xtreme 4 blades I assume it was for that reason. I gave the G5 a shot this year lost my first doe went right back. I do agree though a well placed arrow will kill with just about anything. 

• Like 1

I also think the g5 dont leave the best blood trails. I switched to them this year and got two does. Blood trails were not great at all. I am thinking of going to a magnus two blade or some other two blade heads,they seem to do a lot of damage. At my bow shop i saw a pic of a buck that got shot by one and the hole was incredible. The DEC tested it for gun powder residue because it looked like a big bullet hole.

10 hours ago, Keith Scanlon said:

Be careful with the muzzy trocar hybrids I believe they are not legal in NY because they do not rotate forward like the rage do. Ive had DEC “inspect” my Rage xtreme 4 blades I assume it was for that reason. I gave the G5 a shot this year lost my first doe went right back. I do agree though a well placed arrow will kill with just about anything. 

10 hours ago, Keith Scanlon said:

When I opened the package and tried moving the blades I questioned their legality. I wasn't able to find this out anywhere online before I bought them. That was $40 wasted. Thank you for confirming what I thought. 

10 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

I've been on the rage kick from the get go. Extreme for vertical and xbow. Haven't been let down yet and always amazed at the holes it leaves.

Worry more about shot placement than broad head. My .02

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Agreed, shot placement is critical. I can honestly say I have watched most of my deer fall. No tracking needed. Here on the island, we don't have the predominantly open woods that you find upstate. It is so thick in some places you wonder how a nice buck can actually move through this stuff. There are some places where you can't see beyond 30 yards! Most shots are within 20 yards with many 12-15. Its the longer distances or when they run into the thick that makes it more of a challenge. My concern is the blood trail. I have spent more time than I care to admit, on my hands and knees crawling under briar patches scouring the ground for a tiny drop of blood and not for poor shot placement, but because they ran and I lost sight of them after 2 bounds. 

Edited by squirrelwhisperer

Been using the rage hypos with good results.  I have no complaints whatsoever.  Even on a few of my less than ideal shots, the deer seem to die quick.  I agree with Jeremy that you need to be sure to have the power to push those blades through and be sure that the collars are on properly.

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Been using the rage hypos with good results.  I have no complaints whatsoever.  Even on a few of my less than ideal shots, the deer seem to die quick.  I agree with Jeremy that you need to be sure to have the power to push those blades through and be sure that the collars are on properly.

I am shooting 68lbs at 29" with my Matthews Z7