Best Mechanical Broadhead

squirrelwhisperer

Are these for xbow? No xbow on the Island which sux
No they are compound heads. I'm not sure if they make xbow spitfires as I don't crossbow hunt, but if I did I'd still use spitfires. When a head has been around 20 years without real modifications you know it works. If you want a similar head without the price, get the NAP Shockwave's.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

over 60 lbs and 29" draw on a 330 fps IBO bow you're good with just about any head. if you shoot the biggest cutting diameter mechanical, then i'd try to make sure you're not shooting the lightest arrow possible and taking really long shots. doesn't matter what head you're using, just put them in the right spot. even with perfect placement not all deer will bleed right away in the first 30 or so yards. i've had no blood for that far and then had to pour out seemingly in buckets.

used the original Rage with great results and would hesitate using any of the current 2 blade Rage heads with your setup. I've used Rage heads since they came out. especially on quartering away shots i prefer the slip cam design for better entrance holes, less head deflection, and less loss of energy due to induced torque on the arrow shaft during impact. Rage 3 blades i have reservations about. seem like a lot going on with even the slip cam design. at times i've felt like blades contacted each other too much while deploying. they can even hangup when folding forward, technically making them illegal if an ECO really starts fishing. not the 2 blades though. always have stuck with the 2 blade heads.
my preferred head over all others they don't make any more. It's a 2 blade Rage titanium. 2" cut. low profile long forward cutting edge.  low profile indestructible titanium ferrule. I bought up a ton of them years ago when they go on super sale post season or due to them not moving off the shelves.  Originally they were $80 for 3 heads and practice head but i'd pay around $35 or sometimes less (cost of regular Rage heads). I've blown through more deer and had those heads buried into everything from trees, dirt, rocky creek bottoms, etc. worst case was still swap out the blades and another O-ring. they'd spin true, ready for another deer. i've lost arrows with heads over the years, and i'm very low on replacement blades. not sure how much longer they'll last me.

41K+B5UCl+L._SX466_.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Keith Scanlon said:

Be careful with the muzzy trocar hybrids I believe they are not legal in NY because they do not rotate forward like the rage do. Ive had DEC “inspect” my Rage xtreme 4 blades I assume it was for that reason. I gave the G5 a shot this year lost my first doe went right back. I do agree though a well placed arrow will kill with just about anything. 

I thought this too when i bought them. Having always shot muzzy, I noticed they would snag a deer and for this I am still using regular muzzy trocar fixed

The only mechanical Iv used are rage xtreme 4 blades.  The profile is “big” so I don’t know how they fly at long ranges.  But for the ranges I shoot they are absolutely devastating.  From compound and crossbow- 100% recovery and the longest went about 100 yards. And they are NY legal. 

4693185A-EB4C-44D1-B70B-A080E6ECB927.jpeg

Edited by johnplav
  • Like 1