What did you forget today?

Jdubs

Not a deal breaker by any stretch, but I forgot to swap the sling off my xbow and onto my rifle for the SZ opener.  It just made for a less than graceful walk in while holding a rifle, climbing stick and red light.  Please tell me I'm not the only dummy who put on camo today. :hunter:

My thermos of hot cider.   Last year, a slammer buck came in from downwind after I opened that up.  That must be why I only saw (3) antlerless deer today.  At least I was able to fill a dmp with a fat doe and I still have my buck tag.  We will see if any bucks show up tomorrow when I hopefully will remember the cider.    

Edited by wolc123

7 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Toilet Paper .... so much for that pair of gloves ( glad I grabbed them from work !)

Uh............. Yeah........ I would rather strip down and use my boxer briefs then my gloves. I hate cold hands, especially if you have to "go again".

• Like 1

My thermos of hot cider.   Last year, a slammer buck came in from downwind after I opened that up.  That must be why I only saw (3) antlerless deer today.  At least I was able to fill a dmp with a fat doe and I still have my buck tag.  We will see if any bucks show up tomorrow when I hopefully will remember the cider.    

I hope you pack in lots of TP with that hot cider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Chef said:

I hope you pack in lots of TP with that hot cider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thankfully, I never have that type of trouble with it and I really missed the cider today.  I can stay in the stand all day if I bring a quart of hot cider to drink.   I shot the doe at 8:20 then dragged the gutted carcass to a spot 30 yards from my stand (legal baiting ?) hoping that might draw in the big buck that I saw over there last Saturday.   No such luck.    I started getting thirsty at 11:00, so I called my dad to bring his side-by-side ATV to fetch her.  I rode up to the house to eat munch with them (and drink about 1/2 gallon of cold cider from their fridge).  I went back out and sat in another stand till 4:40 pm but no more sightings.  

In 38 deer seasons, with lots of all day sits and many gallons of cider drank, there has never been a single time when I had to crap in the woods.       

3 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Thankfully, I never have that type of trouble with it and I really missed the cider today.  I can stay in the stand all day if I bring a quart of hot cider to drink.   I shot the doe at 8:20 then dragged the gutted carcass to a spot 30 yards from my stand (legal baiting ?) hoping that might draw in the big buck that I saw over there last Saturday.   No such luck.    I started getting thirsty at 11:00, so I called my dad to bring his side-by-side ATV to fetch her.  I rode up to the house to eat munch with them (and drink about 1/2 gallon of cold cider from their fridge).  I went back out and sat in another stand till 4:40 pm but no more sightings.  

In 38 deer seasons, with lots of all day sits and many gallons of cider drank, there has never been a single time when I had to crap in the woods.       

I guess you don't eat much during the day .

11 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Toilet Paper .... so much for that pair of gloves ( glad I grabbed them from work !)

Thought real men used leaves..? Kidding!!!!

What did I forget - just how friggin cold it can be in mid/late November sitting in the tree stand during sunrise. OMG, I love early bow season!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jdubs said:

Not a deal breaker by any stretch, but I forgot to swap the sling off my xbow and onto my rifle for the SZ opener.  It just made for a less than graceful walk in while holding a rifle, climbing stick and red light.  Please tell me I'm not the only dummy who put on camo today. :hunter:

Forgot to wish you good luck yesterday John. Good luck out there today!

• Like 1

A quart of cider and a couple candy bars can keep me out there all day, but today it was a couple hot-dogs and a big bowl of chili at the folks house during a 1 hour break.   Had I not forgot the cider, I would have stayed out thru lunch.  Lots of big ones get tipped over during that lunch time hour.   No big deal for me, and I don't really care, because my freezer is nearly full and I really want my buck tag to make it until Thanksgiving weekend (so I can deer hunt then up in the northern zone).

17 hours ago, Hunter007 said:

I guess you don't eat much during the day .

Hunting at home this morning, I remembered to bring everything (including the cider), but I forgot to do something when I got into my "east-wind" blind.  It cost me a shot at a fine "target of opportunity":

The blind is covered by an old aluminum truck cap.   The back window/door (faces East), and the window on the North side opened up easily when I got in there, 1/2 hour before sunrise, when the temperature was about 5 deg F.  The window on to South side (most likely to get a shot at a deer from), was frozen shut.   It took me about 10 minutes of pounding, using the heel of my hand against my Gerber folding saw, to force it open.  I did not expect to see anything at daybreak due to all that racket. 

I settled into the super-comfy swivel office chair and waited patiently.  At 10 am I looked behind and saw something big in the middle of the neighbor's hay field to my West.   There is a small sliding "cab-access" window on that side, which I normally do not open because I do not want to shoot a deer that is on my neighbor's land.   I wish the window was open this morning though, because there was a huge red-phase coyote, not a deer, out in the middle of that field less than 100 yards away.   My neighbor would have been thrilled if I shot that.   I never saw one move as fast as that one did when I cracked loose and opened that little window.  It disappeared at warp speed, before I could even touch my gun.   

I did not see any deer, but there is barely a scrap of meat left on the deer carcass pile that I started out back last weekend.  I will add a bit more to that today and this Friday after I butcher yesterday's doe.   I don't know how the deer hunting will be at home, but the coyote hunting might be ok.