Charcuterie

Chef

So I realized I have more venison left over from last year than I thought I did. So I figured a fun way to burn through some of it would be to try my hand at some Charcuterie. My first attempt is going to be a simple venison and cranberry terrine.

20ff46618979b7196b2c219f56da7687.jpga18c1dcc2bfb385ab6e563efa75d8ff3.jpg

I will add more pics tomorrow and a finished product on Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I am making venison liver pate. Started it this morning, but won't finish it until tomorrow morning. A guy I hunt with shot a deer on Saturday, and he let me have the liver and heart. I am going to save up a few hearts and try to make a modified version of venison heart barbacoa in the Instapot.

I am making venison liver pate. Started it this morning, but won't finish it until tomorrow morning. A guy I hunt with shot a deer on Saturday, and he let me have the liver and heart. I am going to save up a few hearts and try to make a modified version of venison heart barbacoa in the Instapot.

Very cool, would love to see some pics. I love to make tartar out of the heart

Just be prepared....I’ve made venison liverwurst before and have to grind the partially frozen liver. That process may have been the most grotesque venture I’ve been a part of in the kitchen. Sights, smells and sounds are all dicey. I enjoy the liverwurst but the grinding was tough.

• Haha 1

So I realized I have more venison left over from last year than I thought I did. So I figured a fun way to burn through some of it would be to try my hand at some Charcuterie. My first attempt is going to be a simple venison and cranberry terrine.

20ff46618979b7196b2c219f56da7687.jpg&key=a753140cc436811acbf18d4935f0bf9218d324fc834f0909fa35bdcbbcd19d32a18c1dcc2bfb385ab6e563efa75d8ff3.jpg&key=1ef9cc4fd6e83807eec3da0df7c72b01048ea2454b47fa4193ab495851a7a8ab

I will add more pics tomorrow and a finished product on Tuesday.

Great...I’ll be watching!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crappyice said:

Just be prepared....I’ve made venison liverwurst before and have to grind the partially frozen liver. That process may have been the most grotesque venture I’ve been a part of in the kitchen. Sights, smells and sounds are all dicey. I enjoy the liverwurst but the grinding was tough.

Thanks for the heads up. The recipe I'm doing calls for cooking the liver first, then pureeing in food processor, so it shouldn't be as bad as what you went through. i also did a rinse/soak/rinse of the raw meat in salt water to get the blood out. Depending on how the texture looks, I can run it through a food mill if there is a lot of gristle/arteries/skin/whatever you want to call it. I trimmed the meat pretty good, so I'm hoping that won't be necessary. I'll post a few pics in the morning.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up. The recipe I'm doing calls for cooking the liver first, then pureeing in food processor, so it shouldn't be as bad as what you went through. i also did a rinse/soak/rinse of the raw meat in salt water to get the blood out. Depending on how the texture looks, I can run it through a food mill if there is a lot of gristle/arteries/skin/whatever you want to call it. I trimmed the meat pretty good, so I'm hoping that won't be necessary. I'll post a few pics in the morning.

The food mill is single-handedly the best piece of kitchen equipment one can own. Never make mashed potatoes without one

Looks  interesting.... I want to like it ... just not sure .... how does it taste .  Serving on crackers .. making sandwiches  ? 

It tasted good, salty sweet. Cracker, toast I’ve just been eating it by the slice, it’s very good

• 3 weeks later...
That looks very good, but a bit out of my normal menu....
Could you explain for my simple self the process and end result/  a bit more in depth? 

Sure you are in essence making a sausage more or less. You are then mixing thinks into sakd sausage. In this case cherries and raisins. The sausage is then put into a special pan in this case wrapped in ham. The ham sort of becomes your casing. This special pan is placed into another pan full of hot water and the whole thing is put in the oven. This process allowed it to cook evenly. It is then weighed down to make sure it stays firm and sliceable as it cools.

It’s very old world French and German

Hey Chef....I need a venison hard salami recipe with casing recommendations and the whole process....thinking of dry aging instead of “cooking”
I’m Struggling finding what I’m looking for so I figured you’d know what I want!!!!

It’s funny great minds think alike. I’m going to be doing the same thing when I get back from vacation in a few weeks. I’ll text you something later today that should work.

It’s funny great minds think alike. I’m going to be doing the same thing when I get back from vacation in a few weeks. I’ll text you something later today that should work.

Haha...I’ve tried a few recipes (even one from the famed Pygmy which tasted right but was missing the texture I’m looking for) which all call for oven cooking on lowest temps. Thanks

Haha...I’ve tried a few recipes (even one from the famed Pygmy which tasted right but was missing the texture I’m looking for) which all call for oven cooking on lowest temps. Thanks

Cooking just won’t get you the texture you are looking for it would have to be dried. Cooking will leave the meat too soft so to speak