If you see your deer go down, do you continue to hunt ?

rob-c

So of course this apply’s  to morning hunts. Some time ago I started to do this when i would shoot a deer and I would see it go down, I would continue to sit and keep hunting. I’ve had very good luck doing this filling two tags many of times. Of course weather plays a roll in this to. 
So do you or will you start to field dress shortly after ? 

10 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

All depends on whether I really want to butcher 2.  Most of the time one at a time is enough butchering work for me.

When I am lucky enough and a double happens , I’ll drop one off to have it cut up. 

Edited by rob-c

47 minutes ago, rob-c said:

When I am lucky enough and a double happens , I’ll drop one off to have it cut up. 

Never dropped one off for butchering, but I recall a couple of times having a double and 1 triple and regretting it when butchering.  That said, if you really wanted more venison, I guess take advantage when the opportunity presents itself.  I end up giving 75% of my venison away.  The ladies from my church cleaned me out a few weeks ago, so I will drop another one or two at least - I hope.

• Like 2

Sat. Morning is the second time i have ever doubled up. This time I shot the first deer around 7:15......saw it go down and continued to hunt without actually walking over to it. I knew another guy in our group had a buck down within sight so I went and took a peek around 8:30 at my deer and was going to sit until 10 when my party decided to meet up. At 9 I got a text a buck may be headed my way and 15 minutes later had #2 down.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I do if I want another deer. I always wait for 10-15 minutes before I get out of the stand-have a cup of coffee, etc. I do like to dress them out fairly soon after I shoot. If I want another deer, back to the stand, or if I would disturb others hunting with me, back to the stand even if I won't shoot another deer.

If I am done and won't bother anyone, then I get out as soon as I can.

No matter the situation, if I see it go down I am going to confirm it close up. I have seen more than one downed deer get up and take off again. No matter the situation or weather though, I am going to get the deer gutted out and cooling as soon as possible. That thick coat holds a lot of heat in, even if lying on snow. Two reasons....first, the sooner the meat is cooled, no matter how cold out, the better, 2nd, it makes me barf to gut cold deer. Afterwards if I am morning hunting and tags depending, I will keep hunting, and on  several occasions have shot another deer.

• Like 2