Bucket List Rifle Scores

airedale

I have been fighting a severe case of Lyme disease since early fall so my hunting has been almost nil, at 71 years of age the fatigue was getting the better of me and I just had no energy to hit the timber. Slowly I have been coming around and I am just now getting to feel like my self again. I had enough gumption this morning to get out and watch a stand of Oaks that had a good acorn crop and it looked like Deer were hitting the area pretty good.

Not long after the sun came up I spotted a Deer at around 125 yards scratching up the leaves for acorns, a look through my binoculars showed it had horns and legal. I was hunting with my newly acquired 250 Savage 99, I cranked the variable power up to 5X and used a tree for a rest and put the crosshairs behind the front shoulder and touched her off. At the shot the Deer bounded 20 or so yards and stopped and then it walked off into the woods where I lost sight of him. Went to the spot I last seen him and there he was dead as a doornail. The handloaded 90 grain Sierra Game King did it's job, upon field dressing it showed a hit directly in the heart with a lot of internal damage.

Now that I am getting around a little better hopefully I can drill a few Squirrels before the snow gets too deep.:)

Al

2019-11-18_091046.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 28

4 minutes ago, airedale said:

I have been fighting a severe case of Lyme disease since early fall so my hunting has been almost nil, at 71 years of age the fatigue was getting the better of me and I just had no energy to hit the timber. Slowly I have been coming around and I am just now getting to feel like my self again. I had enough gumption this morning to get out and watch a stand of Oaks that had a good acorn crop and it looked like Deer were hitting the area pretty good.

Not long after the sun came up I spotted a Deer at around 125 yards scratching up the leaves for acorns, a look through my binoculars showed it had horns and legal. I was hunting with my newly acquired 250 Savage 99, I cranked the variable power up to 5X and used a tree for a rest and put the crosshairs behind the front shoulder and touched her off. At the shot the Deer bounded 20 or so yards and stopped and then it walked off into the woods where I lost sight of him. Went to the spot I last seen him and there he was dead as a doornail. The 90 grain Sierra Game King did it's job, upon field dressing it showed a hit directly in the heart.

Now that I am getting around a little better hopefully I can drill a few Squirrels before the snow gets too deep.:)

Al

2019-11-18_091046.png

Glad you are feeling better and way to take advantage!

• Like 1

I shot a 105lb dressed doe Saturday with my .250 Savage-mine is one of the bolt guns Savage made 10 years ago or so. Love that cartridge. Next up-my Savage 99 in .308-love that rifle. You have the best of both worlds Airedale-one of my bucket lists guns as well.

Congrats on the deer and glad to hear your feeling better.

• Like 1