Venison liver pate

goosifer

A person I hunt with let me have the liver and heart, so I made liver pate again. (I am planning on saving up a few hearts and trying a modified barbacoa in the instapot with them.) I got the pate recipe from http://www.thekitchenwitchblog.com/2011/10/07/deer-liver-pate/

Below are some process pics for those interested. Sorry I forgot to take pics of the first part of the recipe.

This is what it looked like after i had sauteed the liver and onions. (I did this yesterday and then put it the fridge; I finished the recipe this morning.) Honestly, I'd consider just cutting the onions into longitudinal slices, adding bacon, and then eating it as a hot entree after this step. The meat tasted good.

spacer.png

In the food processor with the chopped parsley added:

spacer.png

After several rounds in the food processor and some added salt, pepper and olive oil, this is that it ended up looking like:

spacer.png

@Chef suggested to run it through a food mill (below) to get it silky smooth and remove any remaining gristle (gristly?) parts, but I chose not to. I did a good job of trimming and skinning the meat, and I was too laze to do this extra step.

spacer.png

Now I just need to let it chill for six hours in the fridge to let the flavors meld, and I'm good to go. The keys ingredient in this recipe is the cognac or sherry. It really makes a nice flavor Also, before soaking the meat in buttermilk, it is very important to rinse, soak in salt water, and rinse again the meat to get all the blood out. In fact, in thinking about it, next time I will 1) trim and skin the whole liver, then 2) cut it into 1/2" slices, then 3) do the rinse, soak in salt water, rinse, then 4) put the liver pieces into the buttermilk soak. This will expose more meat surface area, and will make it easier to clean the blood out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Ironically, Ive had goose liver pate and its really good. The only way I'll eat liver is that and chicken livers wrapped in bacon

Does it still have that strong irony taste as pate?  I have never tried the pate because liver alone does not sit well with me.

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

Does it still have that strong irony taste as pate?  I have never tried the pate because liver alone does not sit well with me.

I didn't really notice it in the batch I just made. The iron taste comes from the blood, as I understand it. That's why the rinsing and soaking part is so important to get rid of the metallic taste.

• Like 1

I normally do not save the livers from older deer, but I did save the one from my crossbow buck this year.  I definitely think there is something to be said for getting the blood out of it.  That buck was double-lunged with a mechanical broadhead, and bled out very well.   I can't recall better flavored liver, with none of that metallic taste.  I also left it in the fridge for a week prior to frying, medium rare in olive oil with onions after rolling in flour.   It was extremely tender, except for the valves, which were a little rubbery.

Last Saturday's shotgun doe looked a little older and did not bleed out very well, so I left the liver in the woods with the rest of the guts.   I did keep the heart though, and my wife will pickle that after we get a few more.