Public Land Hunting...So You Want To Get Away From The Masses Do You

DirtTime

The best way to hunt public land is to go where others won't go. Hike up higher or deeper then most of the masses, get there before the masses get there.

Depending on the land, this is a serious double edged sword. If you want to be where others aren't, that sometimes means hunting some nasty thick areas.

I got set up this morning around 6AM with legal shooting time at 6:50 for me. Really wasn't any sunrise because it was over cast with a storm front moving in this after noon. I could see about 60 yards to my left, right, and in front of me. Low brush and thickets beyond. I saw deer moving through the brush ahead of me, but even with binos, I could not make out what they were.

I try hard not to let the frustrations of hunting mainly public land get the best of me. Today, it did. I gave up around 9AM, walked back out to the trail and headed for my vehicle.

I want to add, please do not tell me to buy a tree stand and get 20-30 feet up a tree, or even 10-15. If you read my thread about a spending a week in the Adirondacks, you should understand that I have a massive fear of heights these days.

• Like 4

All depends on the piece and pressure.  Some pieces have farm land way out which makes better hunting so its worth going deeper and opener of gun with people pushing the deer farther in.  However you can kill them within 100yrds of a road if people ignore it,theres low pressure or good food and cover.  But if you want to hunt 2 miles deep instead of a few hundred yards have at it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Going deeper then anyone else is a myth. 

That depends  on food sources and what borders the public land you are talking about .

If its state land with farm land around it you may be better off hunting the borders . But if it's full of hunters everywhere the deer will  be pushed deeper in more then likely.. or across the road to private property so it could go either way .

I seen deer 150 yards from my truck  and I have seen deer 2,  3 ,4, miles in .

Every property is a little different you have to  Scout look think  look for deer trails funnel.  Just what others have written already 

11 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Is it? How so?

Not being a d%$#, just an honest question.

Not related at all to your Public Land of course but some of my best spots for archery and gun are less than 100 yards from a blacktop road.......even as recently as Saturday when I passed on five small (spike, a couple 4 points and a couple 6 points)  racked buck.  "Small" is a relative term I know.

Keep plugging away..........

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Aside from Allegheny is there state land in WNY where you can walk half a mile without crossing an access road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hard to say , I walk in circles mostly .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Not related at all to your Public Land of course but some of my best spots for archery and gun are less than 100 yards from a blacktop road.......even as recently as Saturday when I passed on five small (spike, a couple 4 points and a couple 6 points)  racked buck.  "Small" is a relative term I know.

Keep plugging away..........

Well, it sort of is. The private land I have access to in the lower Dacks is like that. I have a few spots set up that are only maybe 70 yards from the road. Almost always see deer in that area. Usually does, does with fawns, and button bucks. They rarely even care we are in there. They just mosey on by. Not a great set up for bow season in that spot though, green up keeps me from seeing much, once the leaves fall and the regular season starts, it's a great spot. Two creeks, and when they logged it a few years ago it made even more natural funnels heading back to the only bedding area that's left up there. So, yeah, what you said makes sense to me. Just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Just different land.

I do put my time in, just don't/can't hunt as hard as many on here. I only have about 15 days in between bow and regular seasons so far since 10/1. I did break it up a bit and I have a few small game hunting days in as well.

I guess it is what it is. I blame no one but me, I decided to focus on two specific areas this season down here in the SZ near me.

Live and learn, if you aren't out there you, well, you aren't out there.

10 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

I do put my time in, just don't/can't hunt as hard as many on here. I only have about 15 days in between bow and regular seasons so far since 10/1.

15 days, no flies on that.

Heck, I'm right at that or maybe I'm at 16.

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

15 days, no flies on that.

Heck, I'm right at that or maybe I'm at 16.

Thanks.

You're a deer killing machine, you have what, 3 down so far.

I was just trying to express, that hunting deep might get into some thick areas, and you should be prepared.

32 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Can’t get frustrated, persistence and capitalizing is all it takes to kill deer. You try calling or anything to get the deer out of the thick stuff for a better look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't try calling. I don't think I have used a call for deer in years, never had much luck with them.

There's another spot on this track that's more open. There's some wet lands and thick stuff around that that gets used as a bedding area, but even during bow season, it's get a good amount of pressure. Once the gun season it gets worse. This land gets a lot of grouse hunters as well, so I take my orange hat in when bow hunting and hang it close by so they know I am there, it's not optimal for bow hunting, but it beats taking a load of bird shot.

• Like 1

Don't give up on calling. I had never had it work for me,but it didn't hurt either..After grunting does would come by...Last bow sit i called a buck in for the first time,he was not that easy interested in the grunt,but the snort wheeze pissed him off and he came right at me. It was awesome.

On 11/18/2019 at 8:01 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

Aside from Allegheny is there state land in WNY where you can walk half a mile without crossing an access road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

darien lake sp is a square block of public land. there's a couple sections and camp grounds but it's a couple miles across. ask my little brother how he knows.

for me it wasn't getting deeper so much as to a place with less pressure or the funneled deer from the pressure. i've rode cheap mountain bikes in out in WNY where it's flatter. you can get into and out of a spot quicker. the idea of electric bikes and pedal assist e-bikes are crazy if you can stomach the cost versus a $50 walmart throw away bike. also helps to find a spot to park and access from somewhere other than the normal trail head with everyone else. i've donated to fire departments and even nocked on doors to businesses.

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

Come on down to Orange County next May Rob and, I can set you up in one of my many Public Hotspots. You have not taken a Big Bird for some time. Time to break the Slump and Orange County is Tops!

This is in the "DEER HUNTING" forums. You gonna hook me up in an area to kill a deer?

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

for me it wasn't getting deeper so much as to a place with less pressure or the funneled deer from the pressure. i've rode cheap mountain bikes in out in WNY where it's flatter. you can get into and out of a spot quicker. the idea of electric bikes and pedal assist e-bikes are crazy if you can stomach the cost versus a $50 walmart throw away bike. also helps to find a spot to park and access from somewhere other than the normal trail head with everyone else. i've donated to fire departments and even nocked on doors to businesses.

Huh?

Man, you young people using the latest crap makes me laugh.

All I need to wander the woods are a good pair of boots and a willingness to spend time in the woods.

1 hour ago, DirtTime said:

Huh?

Man, you young people using the latest crap makes me laugh.

All I need to wander the woods are a good pair of boots and a willingness to spend time in the woods.

i used a $50 walmart mountain bike. nothing new. bicycles have been around for quite a while. i'm not paying money for some kind of electric bike to go hunting. lol 

• Like 2