Always bumping deer on the walk in

snowlt14

I'm at a loss with getting to my stands without getting busted every time. I hunt a piece of land about 55 acres but only has one access point which is narrow for the first 200-300 yards. Every time I walk in, either 5am, late morning,middle of the day or  early afternoon I jump at least 2-3 deer each time. Most of these deer just walk off not appearing to be really spooked but enough that they head to a neighboring property. The first 200-300 yards is very close to houses so I am unable to really hunt it. I really love this spot and have killed a few decent deer over the years but I have never had this issue in the past. I have a few really nice bucks on camera and have seen 10-15 does a sit on occasion but I'm at a loss accessing my stands. Any suggestions?

Just now, snowlt14 said:

I'm at a loss with getting to my stands without getting busted every time. I hunt a piece of land about 55 acres but only has one access point which is narrow for the first 200-300 yards. Every time I walk in, either 5am, late morning,middle of the day or  early afternoon I jump at least 2-3 deer each time. Most of these deer just walk off not appearing to be really spooked but enough that they head to a neighboring property. The first 200-300 yards is very close to houses so I am unable to really hunt it. I really love this spot and have killed a few decent deer over the years but I have never had this issue in the past. I have a few really nice bucks on camera and have seen 10-15 does a sit on occasion but I'm at a loss accessing my stands. Any suggestions?

Get in earlier.  I bumped a doe on my way into my stand opening day at quarter of 5, within 30 she was hanging out right back where she was.  Also try using a stick to tap the leaves between steps to give your footsteps a quicker cadence?

3 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Get in earlier.  I bumped a doe on my way into my stand opening day at quarter of 5, within 30 she was hanging out right back where she was.  Also try using a stick to tap the leaves between steps to give your footsteps a quicker cadence?

I do that sometimes,makes you sound four legged instead of two legged. Also mix up the speed. Constant speed is something humans do

I used to always worry about bumping deer on the way into the woods. It would often times ruin my hunt before it began. And I would even leave the stand early in frustration thinking I wouldn’t see a damn thing because I just kicked all the deer out. That was when I was new to the game. I expressed this to my uncle who is an experienced hunter with plenty of rackers on his wall. He told me that when I kick deer they run into the woods and that’s exactly where we want them. Lol. I’ve learned that deer don’t leave the county when you bump them. They hop off to a safe distance and resume being a deer. Sit tight and they might just come back through. I’ve bumped deer on plenty of hunts. I just go about my merry way and get where I was headed. Seen plenty of them after and killed plenty of them after... still sucks not knowing if it’s a big ol bruiser you just bumped in the dark though. Lol. Such is hunting. 

edit: sometimes when I do bump deer I will throw some grunts at them as I move. I’ve had them stop and hang out as I finish moving through. Other times when they blow at me I will blow back. Lol. Keeps them on their toes. 

Edited by Renegade Hunter
  • Like 1