Why do you hunt??

The Engineer

So I got back last night at 9 from hunting upstate. Telling my wife about the does and how it was 16 degrees on Saturday and 11 on Sunday at the cabin. She said quit simply why the hell would you go out it that. I thought about it for a  little while and came up with this. I grew up on the water on Long Island but always loved the woods and the mountains when we would go up there as a kid. I like being in the woods and or in a tree stand  and watching the critters all around me and never knowing I'm there. I like being ALONE with no one asking I need I want I gotta have.  I like watching the deer and turkeys and see their movements for later on. I like making the food plots. I like the fun around the camp on opening day weekend. I like that we spend the whole of Thanksgiving week up there and have Thanksgiving feast in the woods. I like the fact  in this country I can have a hunting implement and use on my land or on public land. Most places in this world you can't. Why the hell do you do it?

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

So I got back last night at 9 from hunting upstate. Telling my wife about the does and how it was 16 degrees on Saturday and 11 on Sunday at the cabin. She said quit simply why the hell would you go out it that. I thought about it for a  little while and came up with this. I grew up on the water on Long Island but always loved the woods and the mountains when we would go up there as a kid. I like being in the woods and or in a tree stand  and watching the critters all around me and never knowing I'm there. I like being ALONE with no one asking I need I want I gotta have.  I like watching the deer and turkeys and see their movements for later on. I like making the food plots. I like the fun around the camp on opening day weekend. I like that we spend the whole of Thanksgiving week up there and have Thanksgiving feast in the woods. I like the fact  in this country I can have a hunting implement and use on my land or on public land. Most places in this world you can't. Why the hell do you do it?

All but the Thanksgiving and food plot stuff work for me.......

Some of my earliest memories were of me begging to go with dad hunting. He never did much, at that age mainly some bird hunting, and some half hearted deer hunting. There probably is no real explaining it....I have to be in the woods to smell the turn of the season, hear the geese overhead,, the chill of the north wind....

I love the venison, love the first glimpse of an ear or tail through the trees, planning where I need to be for the wind and light...the friends gathered, the silence, the frost on the leaves...

I guess I hunt because it has more purpose than anything else I do, and I KNOW why I hunt. So much of the rest of life I am not so sure of.

• Thanks 1

I just like being outside, all spring and summer I’m on the water all fall I’m in the woods and all winter I’m on the ice. I’m usually stuck inside at work but even when I worked outside I still was outside every day off.

If I had to pick one reason why I do it it’s because it’s all my way on my timeline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Because Mrs .Nomad doesn’t .

I like this!all great reasons @The Engineer..i myself started at a young age with family and it has went from there.remember taking off school many o times to go with dad/family goose hunting.have lost 3 of my main hunting partners(grandfather,great uncle and uncle).sucks but makes every harvest alot more special/emotional as i know their still with me.keeps me getting back out there and striving to be a better hunter

Wife has asked me a million times why are you going to go freeze when you can stay warm and we can go to the store.  I tell her its not the kill its all leading up to and after.  The smell of the woods with the first frost on the ground,watching the sunrise and set.   Seeing how nature truly is without anything knowing your there.  My fondest memories with my dad,older cousins my friends are in the woods.  Just like this weekend i will remember the guys coming to help and us standing over him celebrating, them laughing because how bad i was shaking after the shot,hugging, everyone telling their stories for the day.  I will remember the shot, the deer but my friends and brother being there means just as much if not more.

As i say its my therapy if i need a recharge i go to the woods.  Everything slows down and it gives me a chance to relax and clear my mind.  

• Like 1

Lots of reasons. I especially like the thrill of having a deer in range irrelevant of its size or age and to know you've put yourself in a good position to harvest that animal and make a split second ethical and calculated decision.. And hope a monster walks out!!!!!

Let's see I like guns I like nature  I like hiking I like the challenge of it the excitement of it  . 

And because I don't play golf  :)

hunting let's me legally hike with a gun in the woods on public land  hunting  and shooting   its a beautiful thing , Just fun  to me even  when you get nothing  it's a good time .

Edited by Hunter007

After spending 10 hours in my stand freezing my butt off on opening day, I also asked myself this same question. I hunt because I remember how much my Dad loved to hunt and passed that passion onto me. I spent many years hunting with my Dad and his cousins with great memories. My dad passed away 2 and 1/2 years ago and I miss him so much especially this time of year.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

its for so many reasons but mostly its just who i am .  I also have to add in fishing as they are basically one and the same for me. 

I hunt/fish because of the connection to my Dad that showed me how and spent so many days in the field and on the water with and it still gives me a connection to him.  And a connection to my hunting and fishing buddies and you folks here as well.  But it also disconnects me from the everyday troubles of life - of crazy politics and crazy people doing crazy things that just make no sense in this world. And all the issues that people have that in the end dont even matter for a minute.   I concentrate on the task at hand that i enjoy and the rest has been blocked away.  It is a challenge, yet relaxing, even if i come home tired and sore.  Its what i would do everyday if I could in one form or another.  I enjoy it from the prep to hunt/fish all the way to the table for the game i have taken.  I enjoy the puzzle of trying to figure it all out and then learn when I dont and enjoy when i do.  And i realize i am lucky enough to be able to do these things.   

• Like 4

I know why I hunt but man this year I was not up to it. I just love it but wasn't feeling well or sleeping that much. What happens I get a nice 7 pt with the bow and a 9 pt two days later on the opener! Go figure just wished I could of enjoyed it more. We had a 4 month old and a 9 year old at camp this year it was the highlight! 

• 2 weeks later...

This is a question I’ve been asked by many different people under many different contexts. I usually give the standard answer of I love to eat and as someone in the food industry it’s important to know where our food really comes from. Truth be told there was some truth to that when I first started hunting.

Now the real reason I hunt, it’s the only place I can go and turn off the outside world. It’s all
About me and what I want. I love doing it, love watching the woods wake up, or go to sleep. I love the quiet, the solitude. The ups the Downs. The Disappointments, the thrills. I just love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4