Big deer take increase this year?

Steuben Jerry

From the posting activity here, reports of other camps, and reports of processors filling up, it sure seems like there may be a measurable uptick in deer take this year.

Archery season seemed busy, especially that one banner day that a bunch of us on here took deer. A guy I know that processes deer around Cortland said it was his busiest archery season.

The last few days were busy here, and other hunting folks I know are posting and texting great results quality and quantity wise. We had a good year, and so did the neighbors, and by no means did we decimate the local herd. Still many fine bucks from the fall trail cam collection are still on their feet. TF posted about the 200 deer at his local place and the place our son in law uses turned his away as they are full. I talked to Jim at Hitching Post Meats yesterday and he is near full. We’re bringing 4 bucks to him this evening - thanks @Hitching post meats !

I have a feeling the DEC is going to report a near record take this year. At least from some areas.

• Like 3

Were in Howard seems to be a great year we’ve kept Jim at hitching post meats busy this year. I think our group has taken 8-9 over so far . Jim’s a great guy couldn’t be happier with his work.Best we’ve done in years lot of quality bucks.

i am trying my best to keep the law of averages in place as I havent shot a damn thing yet!  I may have to give back some of my venison from last year though just to keep up with everyone getting deer.  lol.  First time in many years i dont have one down by now.  Glad it was a good year for walleye!    

• Like 4

Archery will be up over the next few years short of an environmental issue (hard later winter kill), because of crossbow. The market/attachment rate isn't full yet and more and more people are getting into xbow. I expect you'll see take #s up in archery/xbow.

I brought mine to Uncle Charlie, at 6:00 Sat. Night , it was tagged #80 .

Today when I picked it up , there were more then I remember seeing prior years . Who knows what’s responsible for that , more killed ,less processors,a combo ?

Will be a bad year next year.. best years are after poor season success especially when weather forces some to stay home. Lot taken this year already means less for next year..sick of people complaining about everyone else getting big bucks and wanting 1 buck rule and ars..  gets worse every year. Be happy for others success and stop pressuring yourself, enjoy the show nature provides..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

There was no cars pulled over at the deer check on Rt. 16 sunday afternoon . Usually always has cars pulled in. 

I saw only a couple there Saturday and Sunday     Local processer maxed out Sunday.  Said a lot more bucks than does. Definitely on pace for a record year. 

It seems to me that there are a lot  more big bucks being taken this season than past years.  Maybe that is just my imagination or maybe not.  I am in a few NY hunting groups on FB and there are new slammer pics every day.

Last night I saw a gentleman struggling to load one in his car, so I helped him out.  Big 9

Big 9.jpg

• Like 4