DEC on cross island pkwy

RETCAM

I got stopped, at the end of Throgs Neck Expwy, asked if I was lucky (no not yet) Where we hunted he checked guns of me and friend to make sure they were unloaded and then asked if he could open bed cover and look inside. He couldn’t have been nicer, have not had too many encounters with DEC, and this was surely a positive experience.

Edited by Big Indian
Typo

49 minutes ago, Big Indian said:

I got stopped, at the end of Throgs Neck Expwy, asked if I was lucky (no not yet) Where we hunted he checked guns of me and friend to make sure they were unloaded and then asked if he could open bed cover and look inside. He couldn’t have been nicer, have not had too many encounters with DEC, and this was surely a positive experience.

They couldn't possibly stop every car that passes that way.  What made them stop you?  Were you hauling an ATV or had something on your vehicle that made them think you were a hunter??

1 hour ago, Big Indian said:

Rule #1.   Never let anyone search your vehicle.   He is NOT looking for something GOOD.   He is looking for something bad, to bust you on.  Plain & simple.   His goal is to bust you.     You didn't get a certificate of good behavior for the stop.   You didn't get an award you can hang on the wall for following all the rules.   He is not looking for something to compliment you on.   He is looking to write tickets, and enforce every trivial law.

Rule #2.  take off all orange & camo when driving home.   No need to be stopped unnecessarily.   He might have been nice, but had you had a deer, the 10 questions would have been 100 questions.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

They couldn't possibly stop every car that passes that way.  What made them stop you?  Were you hauling an ATV or had something on your vehicle that made them think you were a hunter??

@steve863, 2 guys in a pickup coming from the north, probably. however, as I said I can not imagine how many guys drove by while he was checking us. also they had 3 cars pulled over at the end of the merge from Bruckner. There was an electric sign at the beginning of Throgs Neck exp, warning all hunters to stop. This guy was on shoulder, pointed at me and motioned me to the side

29 minutes ago, the blur said:

Rule #1.   Never let anyone search your vehicle.   He is NOT looking for something GOOD.   He is looking for something bad, to bust you on.  Plain & simple.   His goal is to bust you.     You didn't get a certificate of good behavior for the stop.   You didn't get an award you can hang on the wall for following all the rules.   He is not looking for something to compliment you on.   He is looking to write tickets, and enforce every trivial law.

Rule #2.  take off all orange & camo when driving home.   No need to be stopped unnecessarily.   He might have been nice, but had you had a deer, the 10 questions would have been 100 questions.

@the blur He did not search vehicle, simply asked to check guns, looked in the bed, nothing was pulled out, etc. I had nothing to hide so what did I care. I don’t disagree with you,  about the 100 question, but if you follow rules, and comply with them things go smooth.

3 minutes ago, Big Indian said:

@steve863, 2 guys in a pickup coming from the north, probably. however, as I said I can not imagine how many guys drove by while he was checking us. also they had 3 cars pulled over at the end of the merge from Bruckner. There was an electric sign at the beginning of Throgs Neck exp, warning all hunters to stop. This guy was on shoulder, pointed at me and motioned me to the side

Thanks for the info.  Interesting that they'd put such a check point inside NYC limits.  Coming down the Hutchinson and going over the Whitestone Bridge has never had any such check point that I have ever seen.  Could be an alternative for those who don't want to deal with such a stop.

15 minutes ago, Big Indian said:

@the blur He did not search vehicle, simply asked to check guns, looked in the bed, nothing was pulled out, etc. I had nothing to hide so what did I care. I don’t disagree with you,  about the 100 question, but if you follow rules, and comply with them things go smooth.

What if, by accident, you left 1 bullet in a magazine.   You were tired after hunting, you forgot to remove ammo from a mag.    You'd be arrested for carrying a loaded gun.     and your life is ruined..

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Thanks for the info.  Interesting that they'd put such a check point inside NYC limits.  Coming down the Hutchinson and going over the Whitestone Bridge has never had any such check point that I have ever seen.  Could be an alternative for those who don't want to deal with such a stop.

They have been doing it every eyar for the last few years. I take the whitestone and never have been stopped 

• Like 1

I remember checkpoints through the years but never so close to the city, I have had several encounters with DEC in the past, 

all positive, one guy used to live near our camp and would stop cars with out of state tags or if he didn't recognize the vehicle

due to camp break ins

9 hours ago, the blur said:

What if, by accident, you left 1 bullet in a magazine.   You were tired after hunting, you forgot to remove ammo from a mag.    You'd be arrested for carrying a loaded gun.     and your life is ruined..

If your too tired to remember to take bullet out of your gun or separate your ammo from the gun then I don't want you driving on the road with me or my family. Then you're not safe. Take a nap and stay off the road. Regroup go through your checklist etc. And be safe. What other unsafe practices do you do when your in the woods with a fully loaded gun. I was pulled over once and I hung out with DEC for an hour. I had a 10 point on my roof and I wanted everyone to see it. Sure they checked my paperwork and checked out the deer. They asked about my gun. I told the the gun is in the trunk and the ammo and mag in the glove compartment. They never checked. I always feel and tell most people if you didn't do anything wrong it shouldn't matter 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

If your too tired to remember to take bullet out of your gun or separate your ammo from the gun then I don't want you driving on the road with me or my family. Then you're not safe. Take a nap and stay off the road. Regroup go through your checklist etc. And be safe. What other unsafe practices do you do when your in the woods with a fully loaded gun. I was pulled over once and I hung out with DEC for an hour. I had a 10 point on my roof and I wanted everyone to see it. Sure they checked my paperwork and checked out the deer. They asked about my gun. I told the the gun is in the trunk and the ammo and mag in the glove compartment. They never checked. I always feel and tell most people if you didn't do anything wrong it shouldn't matter 

@The Engineer, could not have said it better myself 

• Like 1