A year old buck ?!

Nomad

I hesitated shooting this buck,  one reason he lacked mass and tine length, but he looked wide and decent body  . He measures 17 inches inside spread and I got a full three brown paper grocery bags of meat . Just looked at the tag , the DEC punched one hole in it which means a one year old deer . For those that don’t know they visit processors to check tags , monitor health, and also age the deer taken , Ive had mine checked for twenty some  years . They used to use stickers, I’ve got tons of old paper tags with stickers on them, I’ve always agreed with their aging, and I know this deer is no real old one , but a year ?

B1A86595-F61A-483D-A1BB-8BFDBEDFBB7A.jpeg

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's no way that deer is 1 year old.. I mean the picture doesn't help with justifying age class.. but I am 99% sure that deer would be 2 or 3yr  old easily or better no doubt.. body size of bucks during and towards the end of rut will make people think twice about age.. We have pictures of a buck that is 4 or 5, his recent body shows him looking like a 2 yr old! lol. This officer has some explaining to do! lol   

do you have trail cam pics of him or any pics of his molars? 

Edited by LET EM GROW

Processor cut the skull cap off yesterday ,I don’t imagine it would be easy to, find the head / jaw at this point . I don’t feel its a year old deer either . My understanding is the “ biologists “ that do this are often students going to school in that field . I’ve shot  boat loads of 1 1/2s back in the day on that property , sure some are 8pts but 9 inch spreads three inch tines .

this is the only trail cam pic of him a two days before I shot him , the yellow was me  marking my hut and the distance ,as my daughter and I sat there OD , he was there with a better buck two days prior .lol

9DF0F3C8-EEB7-41E9-AE63-C3A9CB963E0F.jpeg

Edited by Nomad

I hesitated shooting this buck,  one reason he lacked mass and tine length, but he looked wide and decent body  . He measures 17 inches inside spread and I got a full three brown paper grocery bags of meat . Just looked at the tag , the DEC punched one hole in it which means a one year old deer . For those that don’t know they visit processors to check tags , monitor health, and also age the deer taken , Ive had mine checked for twenty some  years . They used to use stickers, I’ve got tons of old paper tags with stickers on them, I’ve always agreed with their aging, and I know this deer is no real old one , but a year ?
B1A86595-F61A-483D-A1BB-8BFDBEDFBB7A.thumb.jpeg.f37feca1d3db609c2fa729f77e19ea2e.jpeg

The punch only means that the deer has been checked by DEC. That deer is 31/2 at the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Interesting about the hole punch ,  last year it had three holes which seemed correct for age of deer . If it’s punched so they know it’s checked why three last year ?  Also they always aged them and put age on the tags , I figured with the new style ,smaller tags they went with a punch , why stop aging them ? I guess Dec gets call in the AM .

Moog ,missed your text ,got cooler .

3258595D-FB75-4EFF-AF34-0C7933BA3C75.jpeg

A80C2F28-A078-4B5F-887C-581E2A28658B.jpeg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Interesting about the hole punch ,  last year it had three holes which seemed correct for age of deer . If it’s punched so they know it’s checked why three last year ?  Also they always aged them and put age on the tags , I figured with the new style ,smaller tags they went with a punch , why stop aging them ? I guess Dec gets call in the AM .

Moog ,missed your text ,got cooler .

3258595D-FB75-4EFF-AF34-0C7933BA3C75.jpeg

A80C2F28-A078-4B5F-887C-581E2A28658B.jpeg

if a couple are working together to speed up the process a biologist or tech the can age and punches the holes. a grunt then rights down the info. in recent years they had a white slip of paper that was size of a restaurant order ticket. that's where they record age and other info. i'm sure i've still got a copy somewhere. not in my deer folder right now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dbHunterNY said:

if a couple are working together to speed up the process a biologist or tech the can age and punches the holes. a grunt then rights down the info. in recent years they had a white slip of paper that was size of a restaurant order ticket. that's where they record age and other info. i'm sure i've still got a copy somewhere. not in my deer folder right now. 

So are number of holes equal to age ?

7 minutes ago, Nomad said:

They should go back to the stickers .

it was probably just another expense and therefore got axed. probably more work than it's worth to contact them to find out what they thought. especially right now. they're all out in the field often and only go back to the office to do paperwork. it's 2.5 or 3.5 for age. i'm saying 2.5 yrs old but that's just a guess without the jawbone. cam picture looks like he's got the shape of a 3.5 but he's at an angle which can sometimes be deceiving. a giant can look like a dink quartering away.

• Like 1