Age my gun buck

Hock3y24

2.5 Possibly 3.5 if bad food is in the area, causing low antler growth.  He is not much bigger than the spike, usually a 3.5 year old would look larger but like stated before bad or not enough food, stress and genes all play a roll in the size of a deer and its antlers.  If I had to make a choice I might go with 3.5 due to poor antler growth possibly indicating poor genes or food or stress or combination.  

body characteristics you hear about are based on hard antler and close to the rut. pre-season velvet pictures don't show show the deer in the same condition and can screw you up. 190 lbs is a heavy deer. not sure where you are. binghamton area can vary a bit. still on qdm co-ops out here we haven't had 2.5 yr old deer that heavy at this time in the season. heaviest i can think of was a buck i took that dressed 180lbs with similar spread but nothing for tine length. that was early bow season though. we aren't in a good area but have ag ground. chest isn't deep enough and racks just get pretty big at 4.5 yrs old. i'd lean toward 3.5 yrs old. still have a decently long body compared to a yearling like what you pictured.

Clear separability between the neck, front shoulders, and hind quarters.  Very muscular and that can be clearly seen.  Each is it's own entity.  The neck is big and clearly defined.  The chest is deep.  Perhaps a slight dip in it's bag.  Definitely some belly sag.  The lower legs are thick and also muscular.  He is not front heavy coming up to a tight waste in the back (as a 3 year old would).  He does not look like a big block on stilts (as a two year old often looks).

My guess is he is at least 4.5 years old.

Edited by LetEmGrow

5 hours ago, LetEmGrow said:

Clear separability between the neck, front shoulders, and hind quarters.  Very muscular and that can be clearly seen.  Each is it's own entity.  The neck is big and clearly defined.  The chest is deep.  Perhaps a slight dip in it's bag.  Definitely some belly sag.  The lower legs are thick and also muscular.  He is not front heavy coming up to a tight waste in the back (as a 3 year old would).  He does not look like a big block on stilts (as a two year old often looks).

My guess is he is at least 4.5 years old.

4.5 would be correct, I am going to mail the lower jaw to confirm. i have a history with this buck and didn't even know it when i shot. last year he broke every one of his tines off in archery and had two long main beams left with no points. he was 3.5 then. 

5 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

....to be clear you didn't weigh him with a girth tape right? lol if that's the case, i'm changing my answer!

I weighed him with a muddy hanging scale, im not sure that thing is always accurate however. 

• Like 3