Help deciding on a bow for son,

Zag

Hey all, appreciate advice and input. My son is 11 and will be 12 next yr and will be able to bow hunt (crazy). I want to get him a sweet bow for Xmas and I need some help. 

My dad got me a Hoyt when I was 14 and I used that bow until I was around 30 before I got a new bow. I'd really like the new bow to be a Hoyt (keep family tradition going). I went to Hoyts website and found the Klash youth bow. Seemed like a good bow and decent price. The problem I ran into this am was when I went to the local bow shop the guy says that with only a 28" axle he said my son will out grow it in a few yrs and I should go with something like a 31" axle that will grow with him and said the longer axle is also more accurate.

I feel like the youth bow is perfect now but will be to small and at some point will have to upgrade again, where I'd like him to have the same bow for a long time. I feel like the other bows are to big for him now? He's 5'6 (tall for his age) and 100lbs. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

The klash has generous 7 inch brace height. now a days with bow manufacturers building bows with layed back limbs and huge cams, they tend to shoot as if they were longer A to A bow. If you can find a shop that has one,  have them set it to your draw length ( if your not over 29 inch draw ) and shoot it. At least that way you could see if it’s a accurate bow. 

• Like 1

My bow knowledge is very limited so I may be completely wrong so lets just say that its only my opinion. 

4 years ago when I decided to start bow hunting I really had no interest in dropping $1,000+ on a new bow but I wanted new and not used. I went to a shop that is trusted by a lot of people I know and I walked out with the Hoyt Ignite bow completely set up for hunting for $450. Unfortunately they no longer make that bow but it sounds very similar to the Klash bow you mentioned specification wise. I am 5'-11" with a draw length of 28" and the Ignite is adjustable to 30" where the Klash is only 29". The beginners Ignite bow honestly shoots very good groupings out to 40 yards which is as far as I have taken it. I would bet in a more capable persons hands it would do even better. 

I guess what I am trying to say is i'd imagine that the Klash youth bow would be a bow that your son could use for many many years as long as he does not physically out grow the draw length.  

• Like 1

Many will tell you in here you really can't out grow the ATA.......Mathews made a bow the Z7 extreme that was 28" ata and many of deer have been killed with it.

Diamond Infinite Edge is a highly adjustable bow and has rave reviews across the board.

Look for the generous 7" brace height like rob stated and one that fits his draw length.

Match it up with a good arrow and you'll be in business

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I just called Hoyt. The guy I spoke with said yes the youth Klash he will probably out grow a few yrs from now, their next bow is the powermax which is 31 ATA but the poundage goes in increments of 10#,  so 30-40, 40-50... I know he's gonna want more than 40# in a few yrs anyways so it makes me feel like either bow isn't the best option? Now he did say you could swap out limbs but I feel like these bows are changing daily and in a few yrs from now they will tell me they don't make those limbs anymore.

Grrrr nothing easy

forget what he said. get the Klash or Diamond Infinite Edge anyway. years down the road he'll want a more efficient fitted bow for him but he can start and end his bowhunting career with one of those. assuming it's not worn out beyond repair a grand kid can use it too. resale is great on them too if you just figure on off loading it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rob-c said:

What’s his draw length ? The klash has a max draw length of 29 inches. 

So i measured fingertips to fingertips and got 63 inches divided by 2.5 gets me 25 inches basically. So sounds like there is some room to grow length wise.

Edited by Bigbuckdown2019

Thanks for everyone's help, I know I'm no expert with bows so I appreciate your input!!

I feel like I'm still learning towards the Klash, yes he may have to get another in a number of yrs but I think this is a more manageable size bow for his him and his age, plus it has a better all around draw weight options for him. I think the others are just a little to big for him at this point.

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Search John Dudley draw length on YouTube and you’ll get it just right.
How tall do you think he may get? I’m 6’4” and my draw length is 29.5” with a loop. The 29” may be fine for as long as he wants to own that bow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok good reference, I'm 6'4/6'5 and assume he will be similar. I have no idea what mine is, I got mine so long ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigbuckdown2019 said:

Ok good reference, I'm 6'4/6'5 and assume he will be similar. I have no idea what mine is, I got mine so long ago.

I would say you should be good with the klash for a bit. Just for reference I am 6-3 and my draw length is a true 32 inch , I get my height from my torso. Now my son is 6-1 and he’s 28 inch draw. So depending on how your son grows will determine how long it is before dad has to fork out some more cash for a new bow..  FYI , I think it’s a good choice, I like my hoyts ..

• Like 1

My father in law has a friend who didn't want his bow any longer and asked if my son wanted it, my FIL has it so I'm gonna swing by and take a look, i know zero details, but my FIL has some wealthy friends so I'm guessing it's a decent bow.

3 hours ago, Bigbuckdown2019 said:

My father in law has a friend who didn't want his bow any longer and asked if my son wanted it, my FIL has it so I'm gonna swing by and take a look, i know zero details, but my FIL has some wealthy friends so I'm guessing it's a decent bow.

Just remember don’t over bow your son, he will do way better learning on a bow thats to light of a draw vs one he has a hard time drawing back. Let alone will the draw length of this bow go down to 25 inch draw? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Just remember don’t over bow your son, he will do way better learning on a bow thats to light of a draw vs one he has a hard time drawing back. Let alone will the draw length of this bow go down to 25 inch draw? 

Yeah agree 100%, I got here ma baseball bat a couple yrs ago that I thought was a little big, turned out way to big and he struggled with it. I checked out the bow, it's a Matthews sq2, looks like a 02-03 still in good shape but not the newest. Deff a smaller bow which is good for him, but I'm still leaning new.

36 minutes ago, Bigbuckdown2019 said:

Yeah agree 100%, I got here ma baseball bat a couple yrs ago that I thought was a little big, turned out way to big and he struggled with it. I checked out the bow, it's a Matthews sq2, looks like a 02-03 still in good shape but not the newest. Deff a smaller bow which is good for him, but I'm still leaning new.

What’s the lowest the draw weight and length will go on the Mathews ?