Exit 119

the blur

Pine Bush,  Exit 119,  Rt 302.   about 5 miles North of Rt 17.   Probably 3M DMP, everyone has a 3M tag.     There is a corner house with a big grass pasture.    At least 4-5 acres of grass.   Opening day, 12 deer are in this guys pasture, feeding,   3pm.  looked like all does, yarded up.

So I pull onto the side street, and start watching the deer.   My truck was completely in the street, public road.   But in front of 2 houses on the side street off Rt 302.

The home owner noticed I was watching the deer.   My rifle is cased up, 100% legit.   I'm just watching the deer.    I was going to ring his bell.   Before I could even ring his bell... he comes out screaming & yelling at me.   Like a nut job.    I couldn't even talk to him nicely..    His property while posted, is not 100% posted legally... with the year & date.   One posted sign for 5 acres.   I could have legally trespassed, and got away with it due to improper posting.    But it just wasn't worth it.   I drove away with no deer..

What happened to the nice people upstate NY?

What happened to Middletown ??    Seems to have had a population explosion... from the 1980's.

Oh well...

1 minute ago, the blur said:

Pine Bush,  Exit 119,  Rt 302.   about 5 miles North of Rt 17.   Probably 3M DMP, everyone has a 3M tag.     There is a corner house with a big grass pasture.    At least 4-5 acres of grass.   Opening day, 12 deer are in this guys pasture, feeding,   3pm.  looked like all does, yarded up.

So I pull onto the side street, and start watching the deer.   My truck was completely in the street, public road.   But in front of 2 houses on the side street off Rt 302.

The home owner noticed I was watching the deer.   My rifle is cased up, 100% legit.   I'm just watching the deer.    I was going to ring his bell.   Before I could even ring his bell... he comes out screaming & yelling at me.   Like a nut job.    I couldn't even talk to him nicely..    His property while posted, is not 100% posted legally... with the year & date.   One posted sign for 5 acres.   I could have legally trespassed, and got away with it due to improper posting.    But it just wasn't worth it.   I drove away with no deer..

What happened to Middletown ??    Seems to have had a population explosion... from the 1980's.

Oh well...

Not sure what you mean though about "legally trespassing"? There is a tons of unposted land in Westchester County (3S) and NONE of it huntable. You cannot just hunt land because it is not posted.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, the blur said:

You actually can hunt unposted land.   I learned that in my hunter safety course  :)   Unless the laws changed since then..

I hope you are joking. My yard isn't posted, so you can swim in my pool too?

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Years ago.   Unimproved land, not posted, not fenced.  You have rights to enter.    I'm not a real estate lawyer... but I remember that from my NY hunter safety course.     I can't cite law.          I didn't enter.   I drove away.    

But my point is.. people are just not the way you would think they are.

He'll get Lyme disease, and think of me  …..

Just now, the blur said:

Years ago.   Unimproved land, not posted, not fenced.  You have rights to enter.    I'm not a real estate lawyer... but I remember that from my NY hunter safety course.     I can't cite law.          I didn't enter.   I drove away.    

But my point is.. people are just not the way you would think they are.

He'll get Lyme disease, and think of me  …..

when in doubt read the regs. See the second and third Q&A? good way to get arrested.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/2442.html

Question: What are the "POSTED" signs requirements?
Answer:
 The posting law specifies the maximum distance between signs is 660 ft., the minimum size of the signs is 11 inches square and the area covered by the printing is a minimum of 80 sq. inches. Signs can be no more than 660 feet apart. The signs should, however, be placed close enough together to be seen and at a height that is easily visible. Posted signs must have the name and address of the person authorized to post the property. Each side of all corners of the property must be marked with posted signs, so that corners can be reasonably ascertained. There is no requirement that signs be "seen," and in fact, the land is still posted for a period of one year even if the signs are illegally removed by unauthorized persons the day they are put up. This illustrates the importance of seeking permission to enter private land, regardless of whether of not it is posted.

Question: Can I be arrested for trespass if I didn't see any posted signs?
Answer:
 Yes. Your hunting license does not give you the right to trespass on private property. It is your responsibility to find out who the land owner is and ask their permission whether the property is posted or not. The New York State Penal Law makes it an offense to enter any land without permission.

Question: If a property is not posted, does that mean I can hunt there?
Answer:
 All property is owned by somebody. The lack of posted signs, fences or other man made objects does not imply that you may enter to hunt, fish or trap. It is your responsibility to obtain permission to enter private lands or waters. Public lands and waters may or may not have restrictions that can be found by contacting the municipality owning the lands.

Question: If I shoot a deer and it runs onto posted property, do I have the legal right to go on the property to retrieve it?
Answer:
 No. You should locate the landowner, explain the situation, and ask permission. If the landowner refuses, the hunter will not be able to enter the property. The DEC cannot compel a landowner to grant access. If the hunter has reason to believe that the landowner intends to illegally possess the deer, it should be reported to the nearest Environmental Conservation Officer.

Question: Where is a good place to hunt New York public lands?
Answer:
 State land managed by DEC, including Wildlife Management Areas and State Forests are marked with DEC signs and usually open to hunting. For state held lands open to hunting see Places To Hunt or the current Hunting and Trapping Guidebook.

• Like 4

Not sure if a house on 4-5 acres is “ unimproved .” 

The whole unimproved ,vacant and unfenced , makes it harder to arrest a trespasser , But is not a license to trespass .  Also a laneway, a mowed path, a hut, , an old fence , drainage ditches ,almost anything is an improvement.

No dated signs , just 11x11 with POSTED at least nine square inches ,and the name of land owner , 660 feet apart or closer .

Don’t be “ that guy” that thinks he can trespass because he thinks the land isn’t posted correctly, they tend to find their vehicles, towed way out into muddy fields , or just sprayed with manure ,if the timing is right .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 3

Even so, there is a way to be nice & courteous, and a way to be a nasty

This guy was just a nasty   I'm gathering he has no clue about hunting season,  no clue about deer.   He just lives on a deer infested property on a main road.

Edited by WNYBuckHunter
Inappropriate language

15 hours ago, the blur said:

Oh well...

an FYI. There is no legal requirement to have a date a year on it. Only name and address. the legal distance between signs is 660' and one facing each side of a corner. AND there is no such thing as a "legal trespass".  If you do not have permission you are trespassing. It is just whether the land owner is required to give you written notice of the trespass or not before the arrest.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, the blur said:

Even so, there is a way to be nice & courteous, and a way to be a nasty

This guy was just a nasty     I'm gathering he has no clue about hunting season,  no clue about deer.   He just lives on a deer infested property on a main road.

Or every year he is jolted out of a sound sleep by people that think it is ok to trespass and shoot deer from the road. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, the blur said:

Oh well...

So, you were going to ring his bell to ask him if you could shoot one of those deer?? 

Just now, steve863 said:

So, you were going to ring his bell to ask him if you could shoot one of those deer?? 

That way my original intentions. .. Never got out of my truck...

Out west,  people find hunting land by ringing bells.   Very very common.    It's done all the time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, the blur said:

Out west,  people find hunting land by ringing bells.   Very very common.    It's done all the time.

Sorry, but that's not the way it should be done.  If I was the landowner of that property I wouldn't have gone berserk on you, but at the same time would not have granted you permission either.  If you want to ask for permission to hunt someones land it should probably be well before the season and most definitely NOT in the type of situation you just described.  If you want to hunt it should be done properly, not by just jumping out of your car, ringing the landowners bell to ask for permission and then taking shots at the deer that just happen to be standing around.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, the blur said:

Oh well...

I am in this area A LOT.  Middletown has turned into a real dump, a lot of attitude, and a lot gang influence in here now, whether people realize it, or not.  Definitely not at all what it used to be.  

where exactly are you talking about? I know the exit, and 302 pretty well....

22 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Wow,so you really thought you can just hunt on peoples property because they didn't post it correctly every year? 

This kind of attitude is what gives hunters a bad name. Propertirs cost money,every year. And you can waltz on anyone's and hunt? From the road?

When did I say that?   I said I was going to ring the guys bell.  Never mind.   Not worth it..

18 minutes ago, Bionic said:

I am in this area A LOT.  Middletown has turned into a real dump, a lot of attitude, and a lot gang influence in here now, whether people realize it, or not.  Definitely not at all what it used to be.  

where exactly are you talking about? I know the exit, and 302 pretty well....

I'm sure there are gangs in Middletown.   I can't believe what happened to it.   I used to like hanging out there.  OC fair.   I went into Boston Market.   The line was at least 1/2 hr... and just not moving.    It's not like the upstate that I knew growing up.

Drive North on 302.   Not as far as RT52.    West side of the road, corner property.    I have seen deer in this pasture often.   Always later in the day.    The deer don't seemed bothered by the road noise.   They don't even look up a passing car.

and I have seen more than 1 deer car crash in this area.    That area is loaded with deer.

3 minutes ago, the blur said:

I'm sure there are gangs in Middletown.   I can't believe what happened to it.   I used to like hanging out there.  OC fair.   I went into Boston Market.   The line was at least 1/2 hr... and just not moving.    It's not like the upstate that I knew growing up.

Drive North on 302.   Not as far as RT52.    West side of the road, corner property.    I have seen deer in this pasture often.   Always later in the day.    The deer don't seemed bothered by the road noise.   They don't even look up a passing car.

and I have seen more than 1 deer car crash in this area.    That area is loaded with deer.

I grew up here as well, and I am only 33, and in just my time the area has changed immensely.  I guess thats how it goes.  After 911, a lot of people started moving up in here.  I moved an hour north west, but work down here.  I think I have an idea of where you are talking about, but regardless this area is LOADED with deer like you said.  Doe tags like candy on Halloween.

I actually ate a road kill from RT302.   The guy in front of me hit a deer.   I stopped, and waited for the cop.   Asked for a road kill tag.   The cop shot the deer twice, gave me a tag.   and I drove to the butcher.   The driver was happy the deer didn't go to waste.

I almost hit 2 deer there opening weekend.    Certainly a good place to hunt if you can find land.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the blur said:

That is certainly true , and it’s often quite easy to gain access to large tracts of land . 

• Like 1