Southern Zone bears

Borngeechee

11 hours ago, Borngeechee said:

Does anyone know any Southern Zone huntable public land that might hold bears on it? Any sightings?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think DEC website has bear harvest numbers. I think the catskills and surrounding areas have the best populations (orange, dutchess, sullivan, etc.)

• Like 2

Most State Lands in NYS will have bears from time to time. Younger bears are great long distance walkers, especially if mast crops are at a premium. A large mast production will sometimes keep bears more local. Find standing corn close to state land and you could score. Also check steep mountain sides with lots of blow-downs. Great place to find them napping.Good luck.

• Like 1

Most State Lands in NYS will have bears from time to time. Younger bears are great long distance walkers, especially if mast crops are at a premium. A large mast production will sometimes keep bears more local. Find standing corn close to state land and you could score. Also check steep mountain sides with lots of blow-downs. Great place to find them napping.Good luck.
Thank you!

@Borngeechee  NJ is swamped with bears.  Sterling Forest runs into NJ.  I suggest hiking deep into Sterling and hugging the NJ/NY border.  No many hunters go in that deep because if they get a good size bear, dragging it out that far is tough.  Hopefully all them dead lifts you've been doing will help.

[mention=5206]Borngeechee[/mention]  NJ is swamped with bears.  Sterling Forest runs into NJ.  I suggest hiking deep into Sterling and hugging the NJ/NY border.  No many hunters go in that deep because if they get a good size bear, dragging it out that far is tough.  Hopefully all them dead lifts you've been doing will help.
I did that opening day and was glad I missed this buck because on the walk out, I realized there was no way I was getting it out lol.

5 minutes ago, Borngeechee said:

I'm going to hit up Sterling tomorrow with the electronic predator call in the hopes there are a few looking for those last minute calories.

Good luck! Let us know if you get any action or see fresh sign! Am still hoping to make a trip to a spot but work has me slammed.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Borngeechee said:

I'm going to hit up Sterling tomorrow with the electronic predator call in the hopes there are a few looking for those last minute calories.

Nice. Good Luck!

On 12/5/2019 at 2:15 PM, Borngeechee said:

How efficient is this method for calling in black bears? I have seen/read about it being used, predominately out west, but wasn't sure how effective it was. 

Didn't see any bear signs at all so tried some blind calling... That was obviously a bust. The electronic call was ok but the volume seemed to be lacking and slightly distorted when cranked up. I also brought a hand call and it was waaaaaaaay louder than the electronic one with minimal blowing. I will say this, if I was looking for deer it would've been awesome. Tracks and scat was all over the place in the snow.