What’s your go to bullet/ projectile for Deer

rob-c

Good to see a fair number of replies from people who have switched from lead to copper. Kudos to the conservationists among us.

I’m not sure what the conservationalists part means? I switched to copper bullets for the hooter to tooter performance. Haven’t found a lead bullet that retains weight like copper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the reliability of todays modern bullets on Deer I really do not have one that is a standout above all others. I have used most styles and brands and all have done their job well when it comes to the kill as long as the shot was placed correctly. I do not see a Deer as an animal that is particularly hard to kill so I stick with traditional regular grade bullets for the most part. I have a couple of times had the occasion to go out west and Canada to hunt for big stuff, I will use the premium bullets like Nosler Partitions for those Animals.

What I do like is fine accuracy and will try different loads, bullet weights and brands to find what shoots best in a particular rifle. I like the confidence of knowing when I pull the trigger of where that bullet is going to hit and the bullet that gives me that confidence is the one I will choose. While just about every brand is plenty accurate enough more often than not handloaded "Sierra" bullets will shoot the best groups in my rifles.

Al

18 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’m not sure what the conservationalists part means? I switched to copper bullets for the hooter to tooter performance. Haven’t found a lead bullet that retains weight like copper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a great reason for using copper.

The conservationists are concerned with lead poisoned scavengers, especially eagles.  It has been a topic of conversation here for years. 

• Like 1

I shot the 180gr Barnes TTSX in my 30-06. It always puts them down when I do my part. I dont like eating lead nor leaving lead in a gutpile. When I walked back to check out the gutpile a few hours after I gutted the deer, there was a red tailed hawk on it eating. Wouldnt have been too good if it had lead pieces through out it 

• Like 1

I love the hornady super performance sst 162grain bullets out of my 7mm rem mag. I have never lost a deer ive hit with it. No reason to switch and I'll be using the same thing for my custom mountain rifle tikka build next year for elk unless i can find something a little heavier with the same terminal power.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I shot the 180gr Barnes TTSX in my 30-06. It always puts them down when I do my part. I dont like eating lead nor leaving lead in a gutpile. When I walked back to check out the gutpile a few hours after I gutted the deer, there was a red tailed hawk on it eating. Wouldnt have been too good if it had lead pieces through out it 

AT - Besides redtails, this was what was in my bone yard a few days ago. Ignore the location. For those of you who are not familiar with this bird, it is a golden eagle. Bald eagles show up more often than goldens.

This is not Oneonta. I used the camera in Oneonta but forgot to change the setting. This is Otsego County NW of Oneonta.

PICT0386.JPG

PICT0390.JPG

• Like 1

30-06 Federal nosler ballistic tip. When I bought my rifle 15 years ago I had a few boxes of Remington bullets and went to set my scope. I had about 3 bullets in a box misfire. I bought federal and never had an issue. They are a bit pricey but I have everything dialed in and don't want to mess with it.

Almost every deer I have shot over the years dropped on the spot. The only 2 that didnt were does that ran about 75 yards with their heart in a million pieces. I don't even know how it's possible. Blood trail looked like a murder scene for both.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I only have a 50 cal muzzleloader i hunt with during gun season. I use the shockwave 250gr saboted bullets. They are lead,and i tried the copperbelt but my gun threw those unsaboted ones all over the place,and i mean 2' right at 50 yds,next one 2' low and who knows where the third shot ended up.

But the MZ is a lot slower than a rifle,so my bullets do not fragment much and so hopefully lead contamination is not a big issue.