LIVE from the butcher shop 2019

Arcade Hunter

8 hours ago, Arcade Hunter said:

I didn't see a butchering thread for this year so I thought I would start one.

This is the first for the year for us .. a friend shot this big doe at the end of bow season in Machias.  Unfortunately I could not hang around last night to help but I did drop off a grinder for them

Friends doe.jpg

Now if a City Slicker sees this Pic he'll probably ask " Why is the deer eating her oats upside down ? "   LOL

• Haha 1

f0b5cd54fb847d055bf53d84c850f87b.jpg

Top left of board working clockwise:
False tenders and cutlets; stew meat; the “football” roast still to be broken down to cutlets or stew meat and my ground pile to the left of roast.
I am sure I over pick and “waste” some meat that a shop would grind but I like my venison pure red (with pork fat added on the grind). Time consuming but so worth it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Just got off the block....little button from yesterday totals are light but tasty looking
12.5 pure venison to be ground (no fat added yet)
3 pounds of cutlets from hind quarters
2lb “football” roast
3,5 pounds of shanks for osso buco
Back straps (couple of pounds)

Almost 25 pounds (after fat added to ground) of very trimmed meat.

True confession: my tenderloins get thrown in with the GROUND!!! In my opinion, they are one of the most unattractive cuts sitting in the cavity with all that blown up lung and blood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Is the main beam attached to your cabin?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I have 2 metal stakes driven into the ground that give added support to the 4x4 corner deck post, the 4x4 meat pole post is screwed into the deck post and it is also anchored to the cabin. 

5 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

When were those deer killed?

Hopefully they're cooled out well as this week is going to be pretty warm in my area, hopefully you'll be cooler??

All good. The buck's been hanging a couple days. The does were hung up tonight. The Lanske and I will be all business starting tomorrow. 

11 hours ago, Otto said:

Looks good Otisco Paul, I have an old fridge I was going to give away, but I think I will stick it in the garage for a deer if I ever shoot one and it is too warm to hang it.   Just plug it in when I need it. 

Thanks!  I forgot who gave me the idea last year but it’s a good one, tho I prefer to hang em...was deboning the first hind of the season when they delivered the new fridge in mid October and was able to take my time with the rest despite warm afternoons...actually needed it fir the buck because it was too cold out fir hangin and the only reason doe 2 had to go in there was to make room to hang the buck in the shed...any way you slice it is useful.

Edited by OtiscoPaul

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Im truly a hack but the job gets done. If I could sharpen a knife I could be better

Best Professional Carbon Steel Knife Sharpening Steel, 12 inch

Get yourself one of these and sharpen the knife every once in a while just by dragging it across the rod.  Then once every couple of years bring them in to get a good edge on them.