LIVE from the butcher shop 2019

Arcade Hunter

20 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

I've cut up a lot of deer in the past, but never came across this cut of venison. Esp with the pre-installed pop-up timer! Where do you hunt this type of deer? :derisive:

That was a busy day at the butcher shop or that bird would gave been evenly brown...I did the deers skin job after the bird went in the oven.

Speaking of that deer I took it back to the shed again and made a good sled run fir my kids in the process...I hope those temps stay closer to 30 than 28.
Quartering in the morning and getting the block and knives out tomorrow regardless.

FA5CF484-693B-413E-A892-CE10917E7740.jpeg

AD753BF9-66E8-4AF0-B30F-3374582FA472.jpeg

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 1

All sharpened up and ready to go!  I’v got one deer hanging and will cut it up this weekend.  Hoping for at least one more. 
99BFA8D4-50C8-4005-AF9A-9CB9E98EEEFA.thumb.jpeg.30035573b3c9090e801eab119fe55422.jpeg

Nice! My knives need some serious attention after doing three deer this year. I’ve touched them up a few times while working but I think they are at the point they need more than a simple touch up. I’m working on my sharpening stone skills this year. I seem to be able to get a decent edge on the knife but it really does not seem to last very long so I know I’m not doing it entirely correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Nice! My knives need some serious attention after doing three deer this year. I’ve touched them up a few times while working but I think they are at the point they need more than a simple touch up. I’m working on my sharpening stone skills this year. I seem to be able to get a decent edge on the knife but it really does not seem to last very long so I know I’m not doing it entirely correct.

I hear ya, I'm far from an expert sharpener.  I do enough to get by and whenever my father's in town he asks why I don't sharpen my knives and then he makes them into razors. 

Next time he visits I'm gonna  task him with sharpening some broadhead blades.

As for butchering deer, obviously avoid bone, but Iv also found that it helps to cut as little hair as possible.

I use a "hook" to make big cuts in the skin.  The less hair you cut, the less your blade is dulled... and the less hair on the meat!

Buck Paklite gut hook:

image.jpeg.c672362771bc5d6a61436b4239639d7d.jpeg

Edited by johnplav

3 hours ago, Moho81 said:

How long an edge lasts while in use really depends on quality/hardness of steel.  Stuff like s30v will hold an edge longer than most knife steels but will also be harder to sharpen.  Carbon steel is pretty easy to get very sharp but dulls quicker.  You may not be doing anything wrong Moho.

• Like 2

I hear ya, I'm far from an expert sharpener.  I do enough to get by and whenever my father's in town he asks why I don't sharpen my knives and then he makes them into razors. 
Next time he visits I'm gonna  task him with sharpening some broadhead blades.

As for butchering deer, obviously avoid bone, but Iv also found that it helps to cut as little hair as possible.
I use a "hook" to make big cuts in the skin.  The less hair you cut, the less your blade is dulled... and the less hair on the meat!
Buck Paklite gut hook:
image.jpeg.c672362771bc5d6a61436b4239639d7d.jpeg

Let me know next time your fathers in town I’ll just happen to stop buy. Lol

Having my daughter help butcher definitely did zero favors for keeping my knives sharp. Plenty of fur and bone was touched! A price I was willing to pay and would again in a heart beat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My wife was kind enough to finish cleaning and vacuum sealing the deboned meat today from Natalie's doe on Saturday.    I am done butchering unless the F2F participant connects this weekend.

That reality just struck for me as well. I can bow hunt until 12/31 but really feel like my success rate is low for the remainder of the hunts....also don’t have many hunts left on the calendar. Sad sad sad.

12 minutes ago, crappyice said:

How do the zip top bags work against freezer burn? Looks like you got most of the air out so it seems similar to vacuum packing

No issues with freezer burn as long as all the air is out... which is easier with ground meat, bulk sausage, and stew meat.  It’s harder to get all the air out of sausage links, sausage patties and roasts, so they either get wrapped in plastic wrap and butcher paper, plastic wrap in a ziplock bag, or vacuum sealed.  Vacuum sealer is used mostly for sausage or keilbasa that I want to store longer or give away.  Today’s deer was #3 which unfortunately might be the last for the season, so I vacuum sealed the backstraps for long-term storage. 

F1236669-79DB-4992-BB66-B3796AC84A71.jpeg

Edited by johnplav

No issues with freezer burn as long as all the air is out... which is easier with ground meat, bulk sausage, and stew meat.  It’s harder to get all the air out of sausage links, sausage patties and roasts, so they either get wrapped in plastic wrap and butcher paper, plastic wrap in a ziplock bag, or vacuum sealed.  Vacuum sealer is used mostly for sausage or keilbasa that I want to store longer or give away.  Today’s deer was #3 which unfortunately might be the last for the season, so I vacuum sealed the backstraps for long-term storage. 
F1236669-79DB-4992-BB66-B3796AC84A71.thumb.jpeg.f094d606b9bc0a5b4e7716bed575ca62.jpeg

Interesting- I use freezer paper and haven’t really had much of an issue with freezer burn either except for an occasional burnt flavor with some older than a year chop meat (rare to have it last). I think it was from the pork fat picking up off flavor. This year I am pretty much going to keep the venison in 3-5 pounds blocks and add the pork fat when I grind which will almost be “ground to order”

We ate Nov 2018 venison last night and today, and with proper handling, aging, packaging, and cooking... I honestly couldn’t tell any difference in taste from fresh venison. 
Same here last night. We either clear wrap and then freezer paper or clear wrap and vacuum seal.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Why would you clear wrap and Vacuum seal?
For some reason when I don't clear wrap when there is moisture from the meat/blood if doesn't seem to seal as well. I've had bags thats that opened or had air in them after while. Im sure its my mistake or cheap bags or something but it only takes me a second to clear wrap so I don't mind doing it.

12 minutes ago, YFKI1983 said:

For some reason when I don't clear wrap when there is moisture from the meat/blood if doesn't seem to seal as well. I've had bags thats that opened or had air in them after while. Im sure its my mistake or cheap bags or something but it only takes me a second to clear wrap so I don't mind doing it.

Moisture in the bag can affect the seal; not your fault or cheap bags. What I do, which seems to work, when I have excess moisture in the bag is to put a piece of paper towel on top of the food in the bag. The paper towel absorbs the moisture so that it doesn't reach the seal.

• Like 1

Final quarter of the year to do unless I do some dmfa...even then a late late season score is not so easy.
image.thumb.jpg.d42f2e6c505afdc8184e08b37ddca1b1.jpg
Gonna try to add some foul into the mix starting tomorrow am
64D447FB-BBD5-4BE2-916F-1189F9AF60A8.thumb.jpeg.a35decceabcd9c40510797373786cec1.jpeg
20 day aged looks nice
98280F29-A016-48CF-926D-8457CCEE8597.thumb.jpeg.234452d3be111fe8bc29ccd235b66578.jpeg

Wow...20 days!!! Pretty sure you can just light a match close to any cut and enjoy that!!! Brings a tear to my eye!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

bf73cd4f2b253128fe440f4bfb476c8d.jpg&key=1c5dc8f129281e3fc531eb040d193fc3a1758d1f94341ee44c903f90915b4986

I banged through 2 hind quarters and a neck roast(actually made two 5 pound roasts it was so big) tonight from the buck I arrowed last Friday.

Tale of the tape:

10 pounds of neck roasts(bone still in)

13 pounds of clean meat from each leg

——left the football roasts (pot roast was great recently) and all the major roasts whole for now in case I decide to to corned venison again- if not they get sliced for cutlets.

Boneless shanks of all my deer will be made into a massive osso buco to be shared with many.

• Like 2