LIVE from the butcher shop 2019

Arcade Hunter

Shit....my “deer fridge” that I keep in my shed in the backyard seems to be fritzing. The two front shoulders I went to break down tonight are frozen pretty solid.
Frozen is better than warm but I assume it means that since it is frozen it hasn’t broken down like I hoped.

And, what now...allow it to defrost and proceed to break down? Or have it defrost and then let hang for a few days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, goosifer said:

My understanding is that once the meat has been frozen, the enzymes that break down the tissue no longer work. You should just let it defrost enough for you to trim, cut, grind, etc at this point. 

i don't think it does. the process just has to start over again. what would concern me is if the temps in his shed got higher than 38 degrees. even if it's not all bad bacteria can form on the outside of the meat. i assume it's dry so i wouldn't rinse it or anything to reintroduce moisture.

13 hours ago, goosifer said:

My understanding is that once the meat has been frozen, the enzymes that break down the tissue no longer work. You should just let it defrost enough for you to trim, cut, grind, etc at this point. 

I retract my above statement. While no aging will occur while frozen, aging can occur on previously frozen meat. There will be a slightly greater loss of moisture and some relative mushiness to the meat, but it will be just as tender, notwithstanding having been frozen. For details, see http://afs.okstate.edu/research_reports/1993rr/93_10.pdf

Edited by goosifer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

First attempt at Keilbasa. Turned out quite good but I smoked it a bit long I think. Also made some snack sticks. Good taste but also a bit dry. 

IMG_20191207_131420458.jpg

IMG_20191208_194721590.jpg

IMG_20191208_194724789.jpg

The Basi looks great .  I have plans to make some smoked sausage this weekend to put up for the year.   Gotta see if i have enough leftover venison from last year to add to it - otherwise it will have a little sadness taste to it. 

Already had the casings, seasonings and pork - so gotta use it  

772ed76a54728e87f0557165aeee3f47.jpg&key=7117cb98f500c00389ec5781ecc900b89678dd84b2da93f01e8f237db518ec1b
Broke out grandpa’s hand grinder to do a pound of trimmings from back straps and tenderloins to make some meatballs.

Did you use fat back in there? If so where did you get it

My buddy had a share of four pigs...it’s the fat from them.
I got pounds of it if you need some

I might have to take you up on that, I am thinking of doing a cured sausage in the next few weeks and my buddy seems to not be coming through..

Thanks!

I might have to take you up on that, I am thinking of doing a cured sausage in the next few weeks and my buddy seems to not be coming through..

Thanks!

Am I seriously going to pack pork fat to a GTG!!! Guess it’s no worse than White Castle. Let me know

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 8 months later...

542d3be604190e52658b739254d85a9c.jpg

Need a venison chili for Football Sunday so the last pack of shanks and stew meat are being ground today. In the past I pain stakingly would fillet out the meat from the silver skin and connective tissue from the shanks. Today, I am going to experiment with just grinding it and seeing how “bad” it is to have those bits in my grind.

I did grind the whole shank for some of the beer salami and I did not notice “extra tough” piece. Hoping for the same results with the chili

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, crappyice said:

542d3be604190e52658b739254d85a9c.jpg

Need a venison chili for Football Sunday so the last pack of shanks and stew meat are being ground today. In the past I pain stakingly would fillet out the meat from the silver skin and connective tissue from the shanks. Today, I am going to experiment with just grinding it and seeing how “bad” it is to have those bits in my grind.

I did grind the whole shank for some of the beer salami and I did not notice “extra tough” piece. Hoping for the same results with the chili

I used to do the same. And then did what your doing and noticed zero difference.  I of course still trim out the worst but chunks like that made no difference at least to me. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, chrisw said:

You can also braise the shanks and the meat is really tender and almost all connective tissue disappears.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Thats what i started doing. Braise them and then cook in a pot for an hour or so with a bunch of other goodies.

• Like 2

542d3be604190e52658b739254d85a9c.jpg&key=a4cca893b5d6c4003fa89b4801b285bff3a35ee52ba0f419432c2469a69df71f

This Will be fine, cooking the chili low and slow will break down that tissue. If anything it will be better as all that stuff will add collagen to the chili

• Like 1

This Will be fine, cooking the chili low and slow will break down that tissue. If anything it will be better as all that stuff will add collagen to the chili

So would you recommend only cooking ground meat with connective tissue from the shanks with low and slow methods...so don’t use that for burgers or tacos.

542d3be604190e52658b739254d85a9c.jpg&key=a4cca893b5d6c4003fa89b4801b285bff3a35ee52ba0f419432c2469a69df71f

Chili came great with no noticeable “grizzle”
I may be foregoing the “filleting of shanks” process in the future

• Like 2

So would you recommend only cooking ground meat with connective tissue from the shanks with low and slow methods...so don’t use that for burgers or tacos.

Correct, I mean you could but it might be a little gritty

There were a few tendenous bits in the Biz buck pepperoni. Still quite delicious

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• 4 weeks later...