youngster uses grandpa's 39-year-old rifle to kill 22-point buck

Hunter007

43 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

After reading this bizz is going to be looking at maps  to hunt in Missouri to find that deers  brother  :) 

The midwest is a whole other world when it comes to whitetail hunting. Maybe someday I'll go, but usually when I book a trip it is to hunt different species than whitetails that i can hunt in NY

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

The midwest is a whole other world when it comes to whitetail hunting. Maybe someday I'll go, but usually when I book a trip it is to hunt different species than whitetails that i can hunt in NY

22 point buck may as well be a different species. 

Edited by Hunter007

• 2 months later...

Ruger 10 22 is one of the best rifles for beginners out there. Because it is mass-produced, Ruger 10/22 is widely available as well. Also, it’s really affordable with new models running at approximately $200. The design of Ruger 10/22 is perfect for people that are new for hunting. However, Marlin 60 can alse be a great choice. This review on RebelShooters shows advanatges and disadvantages of both rifles.

On 11/22/2019 at 9:28 AM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Having hunted my whole life in southeastern Illinois, I will say there are a lot of deer, and a lot of big deer. It is not unusual to see several deer in a season that most would consider the "deer of a lifetime". However, it is still hard to get close to these deer, usually. The one exception are the short gun seasons, when everyone and his brother are out blasting away at anything that moves. This means that every once in a while a hungover Bubba shoots a nice one, that was inadvertently pushed to him by his brother who was stumbling through the woods looking for his tree stand :)

The biggest deer I ever killed was a 13 pointer, which I had hunted for all season. One March morning on my way to work, he ran in front of my old '84 Dodge pickup. Knocked on antler off, and busted the grill and radiator out of my truck. I still have the antlers, but the truck is long gone. I did love that truck though, it was my first one, and it served me well for several years.