Rattlesnakes

LongWayFromHome

Definitely a little late for them unless you’re on a southern exposure and it’s been really warm but we do have them I have been going to dens in ny for 30 plus years to see them and copperheads now as for early bear season i came to close to stepping on this 50 incher in the sundown forest while bear hunting 

C499DF81-7A09-4545-9E30-6BDF9999C9ED.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Abany county hilltowns. I know of a den sight. Had DEC check it out years ago. Usually will only see them at the den sight in mid May and September. Other than that, it's very rare to see them here. 

Copperheads are a bit more numerous. But still it's very rare to see those around here too. Certain parts of the Adirondacks and Catskills have a bit better population. Though I believe they've been found in quite a few different counties here in New York.

LWFH...have you seen one? What is your motive? Just so ya know. The venomous snakes in NYS are protected by law. And it's illegal to harm, harass, or displace. Just saying. Not that many would care to mess with them. Better to just observe from a safe distance, and move on.

I got a pretty good education on venomous snakes when I lived in South Carolina and Florida back in my younger days. I've always found them fascinating.

6 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I read a book about exploring/hunting Pennsylvania from the 1800s and the number of rattlers they had is incredible. They were afraid to leave the Susquehanna and slept in their canoes. There are still an alarming number of them actually lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nasty

If you run around the woods, you need to be careful. It's a very well defined mathamatical equation. The destruction of the rattlesnake population produces anomolies in the balance of nature. I don't like snakes, at all! But I respect the animal and give them a wide berth. Given the choice between the rabid liberal political vermin infesting my country, and a rattler, I opt to keep and protect the rattler. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, LongWayFromHome said:

Well, you must of had something that cascavel wanted☺, where did this occur?

Summer time on the chemung river . Day after a good rain .. pushed the water up a good bit. Water was clearing . Area referred  to as Frenchmans flats.

Edited by Nytracker

As for venomous snakes being protected it’s actually all ny reptiles and amphibians that are protected and as for length of rattle it has no importance as they break and do not give any indication of age or anything other than number of times it has shed if it still has pre button and for locations they should never be revealed to many people would poach or destroy them 

The densest population of timber rattlers in NY is within ten miles of where I live, and  I have never heard of anyone seeing a rattler  in November...They are denned up by then....As a matter of fact, I don't recall ever hearing of one seen in October...