My 300 Win Mag is ready

Got the scope put on my Browning AB3 300 Win Mag last night, and picked up some ammo today. I went With Fusion 180gr ammo, and it looks like I found A winner! I think I also Just found my new favorite hunting rifle! The recoil on it is nowhere near what I thought It would be, the action is silky smooth, and man oh man can she shoot. I put 3 rounds down range, adjusted the scope to them and knocked out a 2 round group, slight scope adjustment and a single shot dead on. 

7C2F8EF1-B595-4B90-B678-4D410E76128A.jpeg

0278C1E8-2010-458A-B447-D4DCD40B8B13.jpeg

• Like 10

Back about 25 years ago, when I was in perhaps the  best physical condition of my life, I spent some time working up loads for my .338 Win mag and my buddy's .300 Win mag prior to an Alaska hunt for moose and caribou...

Both guns kicked the shit out of me from the bench..I worked up accurate loads for both, but it was no fun shooting either from the bench...

Recoil tolerance varies from person to person...There are so many  chamberings that will kill a deer at 300 yards  just as efficiently  as the big boomers, I see no reason to  punish myself with the heavy kickers...

Shoot what you like....I'll stick to  chamberings in the 7mm08-270-.280- 30-06 range.... They have been killing deer out to 400 yards for years and they  are much less abusive to shoot..

• Like 8

On 11/27/2019 at 7:24 PM, Pygmy said:

Back about 25 years ago, when I was in perhaps the  best physical condition of my life, I spent some time working up loads for my .338 Win mag and my buddy's .300 Win mag prior to an Alaska hunt for moose and caribou...

Both guns kicked the shit out of me from the bench..I worked up accurate loads for both, but it was no fun shooting either from the bench...

Recoil tolerance varies from person to person...There are so many  chamberings that will kill a deer at 300 yards  just as efficiently  as the big boomers, I see no reason to  punish myself with the heavy kickers...

Shoot what you like....I'll stick to  chamberings in the 7mm08-270-.280- 30-06 range.... They have been killing deer out to 400 yards for years and they  are much less abusive to shoot..

I’ve been a bit on the sensitive side with recoil, generally I dont like a lot of it, which is why I couldnt get away from slug guns fast enough. Now that I’ve been shooting this one a bit and have hunted with it, the recoil isn’t really bad at all. When I shot my doe last weekend, I didnt even feel it. The one thing I dont enjoy is the length of this rifle. That 26” pipe is longer than I like in a hunting rifle, but there could be worse things. If it really starts getting to me, I can always switch back to my 308. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Now that you have one Browning you will find more you want to own. It’s addicting, you have been warned. 

Oh those thoughts have been mulling around already. Love the action on this rifle. It’s so much more smooth than my R700, and that’s comparing a lower end Browning with an upper end R700. 

27 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Oh those thoughts have been mulling around already. Love the action on this rifle. It’s so much more smooth than my R700, and that’s comparing a lower end Browning with an upper end R700. 

Go for the Carbon Fiber, Cerakote “Pro”. I want one but they don’t make it in lefty. 

• Like 1