Be careful

Poppy

Going to make this quick, check your stands from the ground everytime you use them.  This pass Thursday, I climbed onto my favorite box blind in the largest pinetree in the area I hunt.  It had been completely rebuilt earlier this year using pressure treated 2"x 6" lumber for the frame, supports and braces and was inspected about two weeks ago.  I avoided the area until the wind was correct and Thursday  pm washy first chance.  I climbed the ladder and opened the door.  I put my unloaded rifle in the corner, opened a window  and sat on the stool.  The next thing I knew I woke up about 20 minutes later, in the blind, but lying on; the ground.  I was able to walk out and after getting undressed and into my street clothes my wife took me to the local ER.  Had bitten my tongue during the fall and had to have 3 stitches put in the underside of my tongue and 2 on top.  I also have a "Boxer" fracture to my right hand that will probably need surgery, numerous scrapes and 2 very black eyes.  I consider myself very lucky and hope by telling you my story that you all will check your blinds before climbing into them.   I did not take time to inspect the bracing to see what caused it to break free .but I have had problems in the past with anti-hunter students from the adjacent community college campus destroying and damaging my blinds.  So please, take a few minutes before each climb and check your blinds whether they are stick built or steel ladder blinds.  My hunting is over for this year and at my age this may be my last.  Be careful and be safe and don't let this happen to you.  

Please forgive any typing errors, it is tough to do with a cast on your dominant hand.

Poppy 

• Sad 8

So glad you are somewhat OK poppy. That could have been so much worse. Your advise will be taken. Heal up and feel better soon!

If you come to find someone deliberately damaged your bind, be sure to notify law enforcement, before the scumbags to it to another hunter.

29 minutes ago, grampy said:

So glad you are somewhat OK poppy. That could have been so much worse. Your advise will be taken. Heal up and feel better soon!

If you come to find someone deliberately damaged your bind, be sure to notify law enforcement, before the scumbags to it to another hunter.

X2 

58 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Speedy recovery Poppy.

So was the box blind built in a pine tree.....or free standing next to one? Send a before and after pic if possible.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thank you for your kind words.  It was built in the Pine Tree with supports coming back to the trunk.  I have found that if you attach it to a tree and put legs on to hold the outer base that when the tree moves in the wind, things get loose very quickly.  I will check for pictures of before and get some of the after when I can get back in the woods.

• Like 1

Damn Poppy. Heal fast and listen to the doc! I would hate to have to worry that people are sabotaging my gear-hope that wasn’t the case but if so they are fully strung up by their ba....well those are probably missing or not identified as balls anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk