Location location location

Chef

So this is hypothetical for now, but let’s say someone was looking for a new hunting property/family get away. They need a house with at least 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms and as much land as possible. They would also like to be within 3.5 hours of The NYC border max. They are looking for land with high deer density and at least one guaranteed DMP every year for non land owner hunters. Let’s say the budget is 300k max where would you look ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chef said:

Where in Delaware would someone get a DMP every year? Otsego yes Delaware?

I hunt both Otsego and Deleware, im on the border of both counties and have properties in both even though they are only a few minute car ride apart.  Both properties lie in 2 different counties but are both within unit 4F.  Typically in unit 4F chances are very high to get a DMP every year, i dont apply for DMPs but both my Uncle and Dad did and both got DMP's for 4F. In most years they both get or one will get.

I hunt both Otsego and Deleware, im on the border of both counties and have properties in both even though they are only a few minute car ride apart.  Both properties lie in 2 different counties but are both within unit 4F.  Typically in unit 4F chances are very high to get a DMP every year, i dont apply for DMPs but both my Uncle and Dad did and both got DMP's for 4F. In most years they both get or one will get.

Ah very cool I see what you are saying that part of Delaware county county near Oneonta in 4F! Thanks!

Just now, Chef said:

Ah very cool I see what you are saying that part of Delaware county county near Oneonta in 4F! Thanks!

Yeah not too far from Oneonta, im  about 20 minutes heading east out of Oneonta on Rt. 23.  If your concerned about antler restriction you need to be careful because route 23  divideds into 2 units, one unit is affected by the 3 point rule and 4F is not.  

Yeah not too far from Oneonta, im  about 20 minutes heading east out of Oneonta on Rt. 23.  If your concerned about antler restriction you need to be careful because route 23  divideds into 2 units, one unit is affected by the 3 point rule and 4F is not.  

Thanks for the advice I’d probably be looking for land in 4F for the doe tags any way! I saw some places near Cooperstown that interest me

Im in chenango and you can get alot of land for 300k most of the time.  You would just need to make sure your on the right side of the river.  7p low chances cross the river your in 7m with higher chance of doe tags.  But in this area you should get what your looking for plus over the 50acre minimum for tags.  But the drive might be the issue.  Bimghamton area i think is 7s and theres good chance for dmps there also.

• Like 1

Im in chenango and you can get alot of land for 300k most of the time.  You would just need to make sure your on the right side of the river.  7p low chances cross the river your in 7m with higher chance of doe tags.  But in this area you should get what your looking for plus over the 50acre minimum for tags.  But the drive might be the issue.  Bimghamton area i think is 7s and theres good chance for dmps there also.

Thanks man I thought about the 7m area. I’m actually 30 min outside the city so I gave my self a bit of a grace period... just gotta convince the wife it’s worth it drive that far at least one week a month as a family

8 minutes ago, Chef said:

Thanks man I thought about the 7m area. I’m actually 30 min outside the city so I gave my self a bit of a grace period... just gotta convince the wife it’s worth it drive that far at least one week a month as a family

Just so you know looked real quick.  Place in my town with a pond plenty of deer in the area just on 7p side(so lower draw chance) but 130acre 3brd,2bath A frame right at that 300k limit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chef said:

Lol don’t worry it seems a little far for me lol... also it actually seems like DMP chances there aren’t that great... how is that possible

Check the 7r area, good land and deer population is good. Also 8y and 8w. Property values are low, plus near the fingerlakes which offers alot of family activities

• Like 2

For me to get to Bloomville (4O) from Central Harlem is 3 hours under the best conditions. If I need to pick up groceries, wine, supplies; add an hour. See what you can reasonably handle. 

Or buy Table on Ten In Bloomvilke and just move up here. 

So I’m actually in rockland county so I left my self some room

• Like 1

We have a camp about 3-3.5 hrs away, so im speaking from experience also...i have a job where I can leave pretty much at any point, and take time off when i want, fortunately.  Even with that said, it seems to not be very easy to get up there as often as we would like.  3-4 hes doesnt seem far, but as mentioned earlier, it takes some prep also, as far as supplies, treats like wine, etc...just keep that in mind...definitely doable though!

there are lots of other things that fall into this as well with adding distance.  If you use it during winter, need a plow guy, or the right equipment to clear your driveway if you are in the lake effect area, etc.  Think about all ends.  Good luck.

• Like 1