anyone ?

cboy18

I dont understand your question, region 7 includes Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Cortland, Madison, Onondaga, Oswego, Tioga, and Tompkins Counties. You got an area in particular? I hunt in cortland and oswego counties and I havent seen oaks in ten years not produce the past 10 years.

I have not seem a good mast crop in years. I do not think in most of the areas of 7 we have a lot of Oaks. Now when I lived down south in VA and had a hunt campo in west Va they have loads of Oak and if you find a white oak that the place to hunt. NOw in Oneonta I do have on the rad two Oaks ( red) and 3 years ago they had some and for about 3 weeks as you dreove down the road even at mid day you would push off the raod a doe or two. Last year in my area we had a good mast of the beach tree, but I never did see that this caused a lot of interest in the deer. They stayed right with the corn till it was cut off. I use to live for ab out 10 years over the hill from you in North Pharsalia and never found a Oak tree in the state woods.

True you need to get into the upper areas of region 7 to get into the higher oak tree count. I remember after a few years down to camp on some state land that borders mine in the lower end of 7 I found 2 mature white oak trees standing side by side in the summer with acorns on them. I was excited I had a prime spot in the middle of state land. It was premo lol. Then the state came in late summer and cut them down and let them lay on the ground to rot for habitat improvement. What BS that was, yeah habitat improvement so lets cut down 2 nut producing trees that feed the habitat.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a lot of Oaks where I hunt in Broome and they are doing fair with acorns this yr. Last yr was a banner yr with 80 % of the oaks dropping acorns well into December. Which I find to be annoying, I would rather have one tree in the whole forest that was dropping nuts not all of them. I find the deer tend to feed like a cow when this happens and haphazardly wonder through the woods eating acorns which is quite frustrating when stand hunting during bow season.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Im located in 7P in chenango near afton and my property is loaded with oaks. small 6 inch trees to giant white oaks four feet across. That a ton of beech.

Coventry is right down the route 235 from me. Good luck. I got skunked on opening weekend. didnt see a deer and missed a turkey hen with the recurve.

Keep us posted (especially me) and let us know how the activity is going.

I have 10 or so mature red oaks and a bunch of swamp whites and small red oaks coming. Mature ones havent produced in 10 yrs or so. They used to be pretty regular 3 out of 7 yrs with good crop.

Activity is good. Had the one at the top at 20 yds. Does and fawns. Waiting for some good ones...