What’s your Go-To?

nybuckboy

I actually had a weird experience this season. I purchased an aerosol doe in heat can some how it went off in the bag i have thats attached to my climber. I tried everything to get the smell out and decided to just leave it. Well this season ive had more bucks running down the same trail i walked down, looking for the doe than i think ive seen in my 5 year career combined. And shot the biggest buck of my life while he came from down wind with his head down no idea i was there. 

• Like 2

I have seen bucks turn around at the sound of the grunt tube, but I can’t say my using it has drawn any in to me.   I do use a bleat can a few times per sit, but again, can’t say that it has drawn in any deer to me.   

I sometimes use evercalm on my boots and I have seen deer following he exact trail I walked in on, so I do have some confidence in that. 

2 weeks ago I had about 6 turkeys about 150 yds away feeding. I decided to bring out the bleat can in hopes of bringing in a buck. The turkeys took off running.  Not sure I'll use one again. I'll use the True Talker.

Edited by nybuckboy

I have had some success with a grunt tube, including my best buck to date. So far this year, the grunt calls have been ignored by every buck that i've seen and tried to lure within range. I don't use the doe bleat can very often but have called a couple doe in with it over the years.

Have had no luck rattling and seldom do it. This year I lightly blind rattled once and saw a doe that I had not seem peak out from behind brush about 80 yds away and run away.

Have had mixed results with estrous scents (during mid November when I typically use them).....from attracting bucks to repelling does.

I think evercalm may help and can't recall any negative responses to evercalm, so I use it occasionally, but not religiously.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

It might be a coincidence, or maybe just a general improvement in WNY "trophy-hunting" conditions thanks to all of the voluntary passing of 1-1/2 year old bucks, but I have managed to kill a 3-1/2 year old buck in each of the last three years, since I started using Evercalm.   I first thought this year's crossbow buck was a 2-1/2, based on his smaller chest girth than the last couple.  After I finished the power-washer euro, the skull looks to be a 3-1/2.   Apparently, he put more of his spare calories into his antlers.   The wind conditions were nearly dead calm on this year's, last year's came in from directly down-wind, and I can not recall the wind conditions two years ago.   I have never been an "antler guy", but these 3-1/2's taste exactly the same as the 1-1/2's and 2-1/2 that I usually ended up with before, but they have a lot more meat on them.  For that reason, I will stick with the Evercalm, until something better comes along.            

1 minute ago, wolc123 said:

It might be a coincidence, or maybe just a general improvement in WNY "trophy-hunting" conditions thanks to all of the voluntary passing of 1-1/2 year old bucks, but I have managed to kill a 3-1/2 year old buck in each of the last three years, since I started using Evercalm.   I first thought this year's crossbow buck was a 2-1/2, based on his smaller chest girth than the last couple.  After I finished the power-washer euro, the skull looks to be a 3-1/2.   Apparently, he put more of his spare calories into his antlers.   The wind conditions were nearly dead calm on this year's, last year's came in from directly down-wind, and I can not recall the wind conditions two years ago.   I have never been an "antler guy", but these 3-1/2's taste exactly the same as the 1-1/2's and 2-1/2 that I usually ended up with before, but they have a lot more meat on them.  For that reason, I will stick with the Evercalm, until something better comes along.            

Mind explaining how you use the Evercalm? When/where/how much you apply?

10 minutes ago, goosifer said:

Mind explaining how you use the Evercalm? When/where/how much you apply?

I put a small amount on the heel of each boot on the approach, when I am about 300 yards from my stand, and then rub some in a couple of spots on opposite diagonal corners of the shooting/safety rail after I am up in the stand. Sometimes, I re-apply that after a couple hours.  I have only used the standard cheaper stuff in the black container, not the fancy doe-in-heat stuff.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nybuckboy said:

When you say you grunted it in... did you see it first and then grunted and it came to you OR did you do a blind grunt and this buck came to you?

He was about 160 yards out, I turned a bit in my climber so the tube was facing away from him and hit the tube once. He looked my way and made a beeline to me. I have also grunted in a 6 and 4 that I could see but we’re a ways out. I’ve tried grunting blindly but as of now I’ve not called in a deer that I know of. 

On 11/25/2019 at 7:56 AM, Otto said:

I sometimes use evercalm on my boots and I have seen deer following he exact trail I walked in on, so I do have some confidence in that. 

X2..

Before I start my walk in, I'll rub it on the bottom of my boots, and also the sides of the boots. Basically anything that might come in contact with the ground. Once I get to my stand, I'll draw an "X" on a nearby tree or two. I've had deer walk in on the same trail that I used within minutes of me without spooking.

Edited by Bolt action

8 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

X2..

Before I start my walk in, I'll rub it on the bottom of my boots, and also the sides of the boots. Basically anything that might come in contact with the ground. Once I get to my stand, I'll draw an "X" on a nearby tree or two. I've had deer walk in on the same trail that I used within minutes of me without spooking.

I do the boot thing too, but I have not brought it with me to rub onto a nearby tree.  I might as well try that, nothing else is working this year!