At a loss of words

Daveynewman

Saturday I shot a doe at 65 yards

The shot was perfect even got video of it 

Still working on editing it for my youtube channel 

She was quartering  away slightly 

Put it a tad behind the shoulder so it blow out opposite shoulder and slowly squeezed 

Bang...

Felt amazing 

Watched film 20 times and everytime shot looked great

I walked from 8 am to 330 on the side of that hill trying g to find her

There was hair all over  but no blood at all not one drop. 

I have never experienced a shot so good with no blood at all. 

Soon as I finish editing I will post in here for experience hunters like u guys to help me understand what happened

Any ideas or thoughts ? 

• Like 1

I don't think anyone will be able to say for certain.  I will say I never believed that you could shoot under spine and not hit vitals (no mans land) until I saw an arrow wound on a deer carcass at WNY Bowhunters on Sunday.  Arrow wound clearly looked fatal as it was below spine where it should hit lungs.  Buck lived until it was shot in gun by same hunter.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

I don't think anyone will be able to say for certain.  I will say I never believed that you could shoot under spine and not hit vitals (no mans land) until I saw an arrow wound on a deer carcass at WNY Bowhunters on Sunday.  Arrow wound clearly looked fatal as it was below spine where it should hit lungs.  Buck lived until it was shot in gun by same hunter.

That hunter was me ... I couldn't believe it either.

• Like 4

weird stuff happens when you shoot deer. I've shot deer with textbook shots from 30-06, compound bow, and 50cal muzzleloader with none of them bleeding much of a few tiny drops. other hits with the same weapon and projectile had great blood trails. even frame by frame it'll show you close to where it hit. only  way to know for certain is to have a recovered deer, gut it, and later skin it out.

if it didn't impart enough shock to the nerves to drop it. also sounds like it didn't damage the heart at all. assuming the possibility you double lunged it you didn't chase it right down did you? deer out of air can still run to the next county by the time they expire.

• Like 1

I was level with her on the ground she was across the drainage and she was just slightly quartering away. I put the cross hairs just a little bit behind the front shoulder so I can blow out opposite shoulder. 

Yea she was hurt when she was comming In

I zoom in and slow it down further in the video I even got a pic of the frame by frame 

3 minutes ago, Daveynewman said:

I was level with her on the ground she was across the drainage and she was just slightly quartering away. I put the cross hairs just a little bit behind the front shoulder so I can blow out opposite shoulder. 

Yea she was hurt when she was comming In

I zoom in and slow it down further in the video I even got a pic of the frame by frame 

If your bullet penetrated anywhere in the shoulder or behind it you would have found blood.

Next question, I see you were carrying an AR style rifle.  What caliber was it?

A 300 blackout with a 147 grain bullet.

I was doing research that the bullet can travel so fast that it causes like an explosion inside the body. Is it possible that at that range at 65 yards the velocity was so fast and it could have caused internal organs or tissue to clog the holes ?

I went frame for frame and got a still image in the video of the bullet hole