At a loss of words

Daveynewman

Looked like a brisket shot...What color was the hair? I am pretty sure you hit /grazed brisket. There are are couple inches of hair, fat and heavy skin there, and I have seen similar shots : blow off a lot of hair, this time of year can be pretty fatty. Very likely caught flesh/grizzle and fat, but nothing that would bleed. I think you at least can be comfortable on the thought the deer will probably recover alright...just be really sore for a while.

That shot looked good to me, the spot the bullet hit and impact can be clearly seen and should have been a perfect heart shot, it is almost the exact same shot placement I made on the deer I took this year, heart, lungs, liver had tremendous damage and he only went a few yards before dying.

One of two things happened, I once shot a spike horn buck at only 20 yards and hit it in the exact same spot with a 300 gr hp bullet fired out of a 45-70. That little Buck somehow traveled close to 200 yards before piling up, he was easy to track as he was leaking bad. My hunting Buddy was with me when I found him and upon field dressing the Buck's heart showed a hole through it dead center, How in the heck he went so far is beyond me, some say adrenaline can keep them on their feet like that. So maybe that doe somehow went farther than you thought she could and is laying dead.

The only other explanation for me would be total bullet failure in some way where it did not expand or penetrate, still probably a killing shot but not severe enough damage to keep the Deer from traveling a big distance.

Al

2019-11-25_143908.png

2019-11-25_151057.png

Edited by airedale
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I don't think anyone will be able to say for certain.  I will say I never believed that you could shoot under spine and not hit vitals (no mans land) until I saw an arrow wound on a deer carcass at WNY Bowhunters on Sunday.  Arrow wound clearly looked fatal as it was below spine where it should hit lungs.  Buck lived until it was shot in gun by same hunter.

Off topic but I did exactly that a few years ago. The arrow hit something on the way that I didn't see and hit him high in the back. A couple of weeks later I shot him during gun season. The arrow went in just under the spine, out the other side and caused no damage.

Ok I have watched this extensively and I don't think you even grazed her chest. I think you shaved her far leg below her chest. Blow it up or film the video and watch it in slow mo. 

She was already not running on her front right leg, bad day for her but she suffered no life ending injury from your shot.

• Like 1

I ran the video frame by frame on my computer and can clearly see the bullet impact directly behind the front shoulder about 6 or 7 inches up from the brisket, the frame I froze is a bit blurry but that small dark spot behind the front shoulder is the bullet's impact.

Al

Just now, airedale said:

I ran the video frame by frame on my computer and can clearly see the bullet impact directly behind the front shoulder about 6 or 7 inches up from the brisket, the frame I froze is a bit blurry but that small dark spot behind the front shoulder is the bullet's impact.

Al

That black dot was there before he shot. Watch it again and watch about 2 inches down on the left side of the far leg.

3 minutes ago, airedale said:

Al

Nope, not seeing that.

I have facts on my side. If the bullet hit where you think the deer would be dead within sight!!

lol jk just what I see and my yes are bad and my video equipment is my desktop and my phone!!

I don't see any clear blown up slowed down bullet impact pic above?

4 hours ago, airedale said:

That shot looked good to me, the spot the bullet hit and impact can be clearly seen and should have been a perfect heart shot, it is almost the exact same shot placement I made on the deer I took this year, heart, lungs, liver had tremendous damage and he only went a few yards before dying.

One of two things happened, I once shot a spike horn buck at only 20 yards and hit it in the exact same spot with a 300 gr hp bullet fired out of a 45-70. That little Buck somehow traveled close to 200 yards before piling up, he was easy to track as he was leaking bad. My hunting Buddy was with me when I found him and upon field dressing the Buck's heart showed a hole through it dead center, How in the heck he went so far is beyond me, some say adrenaline can keep them on their feet like that. So maybe that doe somehow went farther than you thought she could and is laying dead.

The only other explanation for me would be total bullet failure in some way where it did not expand or penetrate, still probably a killing shot but not severe enough damage to keep the Deer from traveling a big distance.

Al

2019-11-25_143908.png

2019-11-25_151057.png

I sent the clip to my buddy who had been editing for close to 10 years a f he said the clip u have is the same clip he showed me of the bullet. The hit was not low like people are stating. I felt I didn't not graze her 100 percent like I really felt I didnt