At a loss of words

Daveynewman

Kudos on the effort for a recovery.

I'll say this, having an actual picture of the hair would mean more than any high def video or slow motion. "brown hair" is a very generic term in pin pointing shot placement. A deer is 70% "brown hair". If you go back, and it's still there, grab as much hair as you can and bring it home. Take some high def pics and let's see what we see !!

By no means am I trying to put you down, just trying to let you know I am a firm believer in using hair as the first step in starting a recovery.

And if you have never plucked hairs from all over a deer and compared them, you won't believe the differences you will find in the "brown hair".

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I am on the same page as you Davey and your video editing friend, I have watched the video multiple times and there is no question in my mind you did not shoot low, as I stated before I can clearly see the bullet's impact and the hair rippling from the shock. The frame below shows the darker colored impact area of the shock wave happening perfectly and why no one else can seem to see it I can not say.

So for me with that part of the puzzle out of the way we have to look at what could have happened. Many have stated that the Deer should be laying dead within a few yards if the bullet placement was as stated. As I stated in my first post I had a small Buck run at least 200 yards shot through the heart at virtual point blank range with a 300 grain hollow point fired from a 45-70!, a cartridge that helped decimate the Buffalo and can kill just about anything that walks. One would have thought that deer would have been knocked ass over tea kettle but for some reason that did not happen, one of the enigmas of Deer hunting. Had that Buck not been bleeding badly he would have been extremely difficult to recover.

Another thing is while the 300 Blackout is certainly capable of killing a Deer it is no sledgehammer, I suspect most hunters familiar with ballistics would classify it as a bare minimum cartridge for Deer hunting. Being on the low end of the power scale would possible to allow some Deer to make a pretty good sprint before the pile up.

There is one more thing I noticed, there are quite a few small branches and twigs in the line of fire. It is very possible the bullet hit one and caused the bullet to tumble just before impact. If that happened there would not be the penetration or bullet performance required. I actually had that happen to me on a Moose hunt, my first shot hit some brush causing the Nosler bullet from a 7 mag to tumble and hit behind the front shoulder sideways going under the hide just a few inches, that Moose would have easily survived that shot. Luckily the next shot was in the base of the neck and he dropped where he stood. 

Al

2019-11-25_170944_LI.jpg

• Like 1

I

55 minutes ago, airedale said:

I am on the same page as you Davey and your video editing friend, I have watched the video multiple times and there is no question in my mind you did not shoot low, as I stated before I can clearly see the bullet's impact and the hair rippling from the shock. The frame below shows the darker colored impact area of the shock wave happening perfectly and why no one else can seem to see it I can not say.

So for me with that part of the puzzle out of the way we have to look at what could have happened. Many have stated that the Deer should be laying dead within a few yards if the bullet placement was as stated. As I stated in my first post I had a small Buck run at least 200 yards shot through the heart at virtual point blank range with a 300 grain hollow point fired from a 45-70!, a cartridge that helped decimate the Buffalo and can kill just about anything that walks. One would have thought that deer would have been knocked ass over tea kettle but for some reason that did not happen, one of the enigmas of Deer hunting. Had that Buck not been bleeding badly he would have been extremely difficult to recover.

Another thing is while the 300 Blackout is certainly capable of killing a Deer it is no sledgehammer, I suspect most hunters familiar with ballistics would classify it as a bare minimum cartridge for Deer hunting. Being on the low end of the power scale would possible to allow some Deer to make a pretty good sprint before the pile up.

There is one more thing I noticed, there are quite a few small branches and twigs in the line of fire. It is very possible the bullet hit one and caused the bullet to tumble just before impact. If that happened there would not be the penetration or bullet performance required. I actually had that happen to me on a Moose hunt, my first shot hit some brush causing the Nosler bullet from a 7 mag to tumble and hit behind the front shoulder sideways going under the hide just a few inches, that Moose would have easily survived that shot. Luckily the next shot was in the base of the neck and he dropped where he stood. 

Al

2019-11-25_170944_LI.jpg

In the 3rd frame by frame u can see the shock wave to me. I wish I was filming in a higher frame rate so the slow motion capture would capture alot more. Unfortunately I was filming in 24 frames Instead of 100

On 11/25/2019 at 10:33 AM, moog5050 said:

I don't think anyone will be able to say for certain.  I will say I never believed that you could shoot under spine and not hit vitals (no mans land) until I saw an arrow wound on a deer carcass at WNY Bowhunters on Sunday.  Arrow wound clearly looked fatal as it was below spine where it should hit lungs.  Buck lived until it was shot in gun by same hunter.

I second the motion, all in favor say I.