Birds have thier SEASONS confused....

Pygmy

I was driving  just east of town today past a spot  where turkeys often feed on the river flats....

There was a flock of perhaps two dozen birds about a hundred yards from the road, and right in the middle of the group stood two gobblers in full strut...

I have often heard them gobbling during deer season, but this is the first time I have ever them strut in November....Horny devils just can't wait until spring, I guess...Reminds me of myself when I was younger......Hehehe...……..

• Like 1

i took a new hunter out yesterday evening for the QDMA field to fork program. we never had a deer come in but somehow the turkeys came out out of nowhere. anywhere you looked there was a flock coming in. had half a dozen long beards and many jakes sounding off at once. had some up the hill, more in the woods behind us, and more down the hill working through the field like an invasion 5 turkeys wide. every hen or gobbler noise you can think of he heard. lol pretty foggy but got some pictures of the ones up the hill.

20191124_084711[1].jpg

20191124_084611[2].jpg

• Like 2

On 11/25/2019 at 5:30 PM, blackbeltbill said:

That field looks like a good pick for a May 1st Spring Hunt!

it's a high point over looking a valley it's definitely a strut zone for late morning love sick toms. unless they're roosted right there I usually setup lower. to me tom's seem to come down to you but not up.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 1:16 PM, dbHunterNY said:

i took a new hunter out yesterday evening for the QDMA field to fork program. we never had a deer come in but somehow the turkeys came out out of nowhere. anywhere you looked there was a flock coming in. had half a dozen long beards and many jakes sounding off at once. had some up the hill, more in the woods behind us, and more down the hill working through the field like an invasion 5 turkeys wide. every hen or gobbler noise you can think of he heard. lol pretty foggy but got some pictures of the ones up the hill.

20191124_084711[1].jpg

20191124_084611[2].jpg

my god give me an area near here so i can shoot one lol

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Enders said:

my god give me an area near here so i can shoot one lol

a lot of deer habitat work we do also helps turkeys. not that we do as much as some people. numbers of jakes and long beards seem to be coming back. took a dive for a while with lack luster hatching and all the coyotes around.